1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is This a Wolf, Coyote, or What?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Carson K., Apr 19, 2018.

1. Carson K.

Carson K. New Member

I do not know anything about taxidermy, so I thought I would come here and ask the experts. I was willed this from my granddad about 15 years ago and I've had it on display ever since. I have been thinking about getting rid of it but do not know enough about it to try and sell it. Granddad was stationed in Alaska throughout the 1960's, so I have always assumed it is a wolf that came from Alaska. But I don't know. Is this legal to sell? Is it a protected species, or anything like that? What type of wolf/coyote is it? Is this referred to as a pelt? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Carson K.

Carson K. New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Codi likes this.

3. Codi

Codi Active Member

USA
    Looks like a coyote to me.

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Coyote

5. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

That is a coyote, the tanned pelt in that configuration is reffered to as a “wall hanger”. Extremely common and not worth much. Brand new ones are about $100 and I don’t think you will see any appreciation in value with age. You might be better off hanging onto it for sentimental reasons unless you really want it gone.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  6. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

Coyot

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure that it is not a wolf — it doesn’t seem to have the coyote V shaped “collar” hair pattern. I would suggest measuring the hide from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail. A coyote will average around 36” with a really big one reaching 40” or so. Wolves will be around the 50” range.

8. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Doesn't look tanned to me. Looks like it is trapper dried, with grease left on the legs.