1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape in Fridge?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RichMO, Apr 19, 2018.

1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

So this may be a dumb question but was wondering on how long can a cape be kept in the fridge...NOT the Freezer... A cape that has been tanned and prepped and then put in the fridge for the next day but how long can you keep a cape in there with out any problems? I've kept one in there for 2 days but is there a time limit???? Would like to know how many days others have had their's in there with no problems... Thanks

2. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

I had a Carolina Wet Tanned cape fall behind the freezer and found it 2 weeks later. Gave it a quick soak, mounted it the next day and no problems. Other tanneries may have a different result.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have let them sit for a week or so with no problems, but I wouldn't recommend over two days.

4. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

I've also had them in the fridge for a week or so with no problems but try to get them done within a couple of days.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just mounted that damned bear and it sat in the fridge for 2 weeks. It was done at Carolina and like BowDeadly, "results may differ from tannery to tannery."

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I left one in the room next to my shop in a plastic bag. Forgot about it. Went in the freezer looking for it with no luck. Remembered where I put it two months later. It mounted fine. Would l recommend you do this? No. I have had them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for several weeks without any trouble.
    Next time you mount one take the scraps off the back and put them in a bag then put them in the refrigerator and check on them once a week and see how long it takes before / or if it starts slipping. I think a properly tanned cape will last a lot longer then we are willing to give them.
    Ralph

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

100% depends on how it was tanned.. Results will vary greatly. Any of the paint on tans do not do good in the refrigerator.. Anything more than 2-3 days is asking for slippage..
    Some rehydrated dry tans can be left in the frige for a long time with no issues.. The colder the better though.

8. Brad Welch

Brad Welch New Member

I have had a whitetail slip after being in the fridge for 5 days. When I realized that the form I had for was just too big and decided to order another from RMI, I should have put it back in the freezer. However, looking back I feel like what happened was that I had put it in a quick rinse prior to the first attempt to mount it and the hair side was still very damp when I rolled it up and bagged it to put it in the fridge. I feel that the access water I didn't towel dry out before letting it sit in the fridge for 5 days is what caused the slippage. I haven't had this happen again since, but I also haven't let another one sit more than a day or two in the fridge.