1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scale tipping

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Safari12, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Safari12

Safari12 Member

so we do mostly cold water fish here. I feel we do a nice paint job but struggle with a realistic scale tip on them. I realize i am gonna get many opinions here but when is it best to tip to get a nice subtle tip on the scales? We are using many methods but like the liquid scales at this point. Thanks for any suggestion you all may have!

2. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I look at my ref. And see if it is worth the effort. Sometimes the effect is not noticeable ,as in the case of certain brook trout. Sometimes the effect is so subtle as to not be worth the effort. If it is a commercial fish, often l will just use a gold or silver tipping pen. If its for a good customer I will definitely use the liquid scales. Its a judgment call.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Various size brushes and even some that are custom cut for scale size.

4. snag

snag Member

Cecil, may I ask what type of brush and kind of bristles do you prefer for tipping with powders and liquid scales? Thanks to you if you reply!

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Actually I only use a couple cheap artist brushes that I cut the hair off of to customize. Heck I don't even know what size they are listed as. I would suggest finding a CD or something where this is covered in detail. I know a guy that scale tips with q-tips!

Anybody have a suggestion on a CD our there for Snag? Does Rick Krane cover it in his CD's?

6. snag

snag Member

Thank you for your reply Cecil.

7. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Rick does mention brush size in some of his CD. But whatever works for him may not work for you. Best bet is to buy several of the cheaper set/kits and figure out which ones give you the look you are desiring. Then remember from the kit which brush size and style it is; from there you may find out that the higher end brushes may not exactly be any better than the cheaper kit brushes. Good luck.

8. snag

snag Member

Cory, Thank you for your help and response.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Once you figure out what shape(s) you wish to cut down to and are comfy with those mods and shapes you can then upgrade to sable. More expensive of course but they will pay for themselves in no time by the amount of paint they hold vs other materials. You can tip more scales with sable before you have to reload. I'm a big fan of spending the money on quality Artist's Brushes for hand painting. Take care of them and clean them religiously (with soap and water only!) and they will last forever...

Cory likes this.