1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing beetles from skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BearBonz, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Looking for other suggestions on saving beetles? when I remove a skull I place it in an empty container and on the other side I place a small piece of meat. A good number come out but after the degreasing theres a bunch of dead ones in the bucket. Any other ideas? Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This has been discussed lots of times on here in the past. Everything from water, to baiting as you did, to putting in a freezer if I remember correctly. Try the Advanced Search on here. Takes a little getting used to but it works. Try the search term "removing beetles" . Use the '''. Also try "remove beetles" or "remove dermestids" "remove bugs". Remove and removing are treated as different words (as well as beetles, bugs and dermestids) and both are used in the different posts that come up. Also make sure to select only the Skulls and Skeletons section to search in.

BearBonz likes this.

3. Chippers

Chippers Member

I spray a bit of water into the nose, occipital foramen, and tympanic bulla and let it sit for a while. Repeat a couple times. The rest you can usually rinse out, but they might drown in the process.

4. Thanks I'm still trying to get used to the site

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I rap the antlers on deer skulls with a hammer to shake most of the out. Then, I hang the skull over my dermestarium for a day to allow others to drop down into the bedding. You're not gonaa save them all. There are probably more than you want to know lodged in the sinuses.

Chippers likes this.
  6. Yup I do that as well. Small skulls I bang inside a bucket. . I do hang them for a day or two but there’s always casualty’s.