1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull ID help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Onionrn, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Onionrn

Onionrn New Member

My daughter was playing in the small patch of woods the other day asnd found this skull. I'm trying to figure what it is. Pics don' match an opossum, coon, skunk, or any other things around here. And whats with the weird little hole below the nose? It goes into a tunnel that goes out t he back. I thought maybe it's a vertebrae but it' not the right shape.

Attached Files:

2. Wouter

Wouter Member

This is not a skull but a pelvis bone of a bird. Common mistake, because the hip joints look like eye sockets. Judging by the shape it's probably from a Turkey.

Wouter

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A
    Agreed! I've had customers bring them to me thinking they had found a rare skull. Many come from emus.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I'm with Wouter.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Indeed, what you have found is more than likely, the hip bone (sacrum of sorts) from the butt end of a turkey. This is a great opportunity to assist your daughters interest in the outdoors and I would encourage it whole heartedly. She can either be in the woods/outdoors or trapped inside with her nose stuck to a video game or cell phone. Try cooking up another turkey or a whole roast chicken. When you get to the back end you will find that section of the lower back. I think she will positively be interested to see where it is located and how it works. A picture below.
    [​IMG]

She also might get a kick out of this website geared for younger people ... but adults find it fun too. Jake is also a member on here. http://www.jakes-bones.com/2013/07/buzzard-skeletons-and-bird-skeletons-in.html

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018