1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paraloid B-72 in Dentatured Alcohol-an observation

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Skulltastic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

Just a little tip/observation I would like to share. At one point in time I made a couple jars of paraloid b-72 dissolved in acetone, and another in denatured alcohol. Very thick solutions about the consistency of mineral oil. With that said, they have sat on the shelf undisturbed for a few months. They are in clear glass, and its easy to see the acetone solution is completely homogenous and consistent-no need to mix or stir it up. On the other hand, the denatured alcohol solution appears as if most, if not all the paraloid, is sitting on the bottom as a thicker milky liquid. once you shake the jar for a few seconds it mixes right back up.

Also in colder temperatures (maybe 50F or less, i forgot exactly) the paraloid in alcohol stayed stuck to the bottom of the jar in a thick honey like liquid and didn't want to mix when shaken. Whereas the acetone mix was fine in that low temperature.

Just wanted to let you know if you use it with denatured alcohol, mix it up well before using! This may or may not be an issue at much lower concentrations.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Good info and good to know. I've always used acetone and never noticed any changes. Many will use alcohol as it is cheaper and not as volatile.