1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with Pricing

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jiggers& Draggers, Apr 30, 2018.

1. I recently did 2 ARP Reproduction Crappies about 15 inches each, when you guys price do you charge a price per inch after cost of materials? Those reproductions with eyes and shipping cost over $125 a piece and I want to sell 2 on 1 piece of driftwood. Curious what the going rate is for a quality paint job per inch on a reproduction is.

Shawn

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I get $25 per inch on my repro's, $28 per inch for both sides (pedestal). IMG_1035.JPG

FishArt likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Sell? Selling vs. finishing a replica of a specific size for an existing client with a released fish has the attachment a "for sale" fish does not have. Furthermore, putting two of them on a single piece of driftwood will narrow your market even further. Location and cost of living and simple supply and demand can also impact the price you are attempting to sell these replicas for....

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I misunderstood the question when he asked what WE charge. I don't do any work unless contracted and paid 50% down. Hope that explains it.

FishArt likes this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I hear ya Socal! In fact, I have gone to payment in full up front. Might be losing a job or two but it sure makes life easier vs. chasing payment and pickup. A little tough to motivate yourself to do the work once paid is the only drawback I can see.

To answer the OP's question, "yes" most of us charge a per inch price on replicas. Most (I believe) bury their costs in their per inch price, but I do know somebody that let's his customer's buy the blanks and then he charges $9/inch to finish. An interesting way to do it, but I don't think that method covers his butt for the variances in finished-ness. Great if his client buys a RTP blank, but he'll lose his arse on those from distributors where more finish work is involved. AND, I know some taxi's that charge by the piece. But, I'd say the industry norm is to charge a total per inch price with minimums. Myself, I have a $325 minimum on wall mount Crappies - replica or skin...

Krafty and slabbandit like this.
  6. Thank you guys these are such helpful suggestions, I am truly just starting out with my friends as my guinea pigs and might be reaching out soon to start selling. I just wanted to sell my 2 personal crappies to recoup some of my initial set up costs.