1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Colman fuel ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by CoonRiver, May 1, 2018.

1. I've always used colman fuel to displace water from my birds after washing I noticed at my local store it was about $13 a gallon, is there s something else I can soak them in that would work to displace water besides a tumbler.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Just wrap them in a towel and dry

Dave York and Wildthings like this.

3. dale65

dale65 Active Member

I have used it too and yeah it has got high in price don't really want to get in a debate over what's good or not but without calling any names I've seen some of the best use just plan pump gas to do the same thing if that's what you are looking for

CoonRiver likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have heard that mineral spirits works. I'm a no gas guy, so, that's all I got for ya.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Nix the hydrocarbons from your bird mounting. Wash with Dawn, rinse 3 times, then wash in Dawn again, and rinse til your water is clear and bubble free. Towel dry, hang overnight, then blow dry.

Kerby Ross, dale65 and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Used to gas birds. Then I decided to wrap them in a towel. Then after hearing of a couple of explosions from static electricity in a tumbler I decided to wrap them in a towel. While they are in the towel I move onto working on the form and neck. Then getting all the wires cut eyes into the head etc. found out that it’s a time saver. I’m big into time saving. That came from my career as a fleet mechanic. I also do not have to buy or store gas.
    Something I have recently tried instead of dawn is Tide. I know a number of Turkey taxidermists have gone to that.

7. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Walmart has Coleman fuel for $7.?? a gallon.

rogerswildlife and duxrus like this.
  8. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

towel,sawdust, blower (NEVER GAS)

Kerby Ross likes this.
  9. roonie

roonie Member

gasoline...very toxic to the human body..specifically your endocrine system

10. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Tide what??

11. Dave York

Regular granulated Tide laundry detergent.

Monte likes this.
  12. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Tide works great on uplands but I would stick with Dawn for waterfowl

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I tried Tide on a turkey a few turkeys ago. Went back to Dawn. That turkey turned out less shiny, kinda flat looking (lacking in gloss) compared to all the ones I have done before and since in Dawn.

3bears likes this.
  14. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Nice to know I have all ways used dawn on all my birds and never had a problem so guess I just have stuck to what works for me

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tide was recommended on here by a guy who did awesome turkeys. That is why I tried it. His birds have won numerous blue ribbons, so, I may have used the Tide wrong somehow. All I know is that Dawn works for me and no reason to use anything else at this time.

16. Dave York

We have a water softener and it takes forever to get any type of soap out of feathers. Good to know about the tide too. I’ve used it once and didn’t notice any difference.

17. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I have very recently tried the Tide on a couple turkeys and honestly couldn't see any difference or advantage. It's not as sudsy as Dawn but don't let that fool you when rinsing. I have noticed my hands seem extra slick when washing with Tide which tells me the soap is still there or would not be so slick feeling. Make sure you do a thorough rinse with whatever soap you use.

18. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

like he says but cob grit

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

if you have soft water use your outside water spigot for your rinse water chances are it wont run thru softener but ditrect from source