1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Fish Shears?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 2, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Hi everyone! I'm finally back to mounting fish after my shop burned a few years ago. I want to take a minute to thank everyone that sent me stuff to get back going. I need to buy some good quality shears but don't know who makes some really good ones. Kinda think I want some curved blades.....open to suggestions. Thanks!

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use two kinds. A curved scissor that McKenzie sells and a heavier duty uncurved one they also sell.

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Thanks Cecil! I need to make an order anyway from McKenzie anyway so I may get them. I have a couple pairs of the curved scissors from my fire but they are not sharp and are hard to cut bass anyway.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have sharpened my curved scissors on a grinder. Just grind them straight so there is a definite edge between the two sides.

5. dale65

dale65 Active Member

I got some with black handles on them I have had for years got them from Ariche phillips but I ask about them a year or so ago but they said they can't get them they have some like them there just chrome all over but just don't seem as good as the black handle one

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Here are the heavier duty ones I use from McKenzie. They are actually quite heavy duty and have serrated teeth on part of the blade. So far not quick to dull.

[​IMG]

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I use a small pair of "ratcheting" pruning shears for the back bone of just about everything that needs to be cut. "Ratcheting" because my hands are not as strong as they were. I too have a pair of curved scissors I bought years ago, I think from McKenzie.The handles are black. That works for me, good luck.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The red handled Pruning Shears with the curved blades actually are a little thinner and sharper than the heavier duty black handled ones I purchased many years ago through one of the taxi supply companies. You probably can get the exact same shears elsewhere for much cheaper. Anyway, those curved red handled ones are invaluable for getting the bones/meat out of the fin butts without cutting thru the skin...

slabbandit likes this.
  9. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

image.jpeg Here are some I picked up at Harbour Freight in a pinch. Just a few bucks and they cut fin roots wonderfully. Could be a little stronger for spines though. Also snips meat off skin pretty nicely.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Not the same thing but I bought a pair of small stainless steel scissors at a local fabric shop that are made in the USA. I use them to trim fin backing and cut the material I use to fill the back seam gap. Wow what a difference from the plastic handled made in China crap that doesn't hold an edge very long.

Now if I could just find them! May have to buy another pair!