1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wiring turkey legs tip

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dmac1175, May 3, 2018.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I was in my shop the other day mounting a Sandhill Crane. I had two to mount for a client and these were my first ever Cranes to mount. I was fighting through the process of of running my leg wires down through the legs just like I do on my turkeys. It was a real struggle since the legs are a little smaller than turkey legs. I was wearing my self out. Just so happen to have a 17 year old young man from our church drop in just to hang out for a bit. He's watching me struggle trying to run the 6 guage wire down through the leg. After hearing me murmer for a bit he says to me, "hey, why don't you just use a drill for that? I'm like what? He goes on to say yea just put the wire in the chuck of the drill head and tighten it up like a drill bit and run it through. Mind you he knows nothing about taxidermy. I tried it and it worked like a charm. I had it through in seconds. I was thinking, really? Made me feel pretty dumb. I have mounted a few turkeys since then and it works amazing. Literally just a few seconds to wire turkey legs and a lot less work. Maybe everyone on here does this and I'm the only guy who didn't think of it. Anyway let, maybe this helps someone. I will try to post pics.

Attached Files:

dale65 likes this.
  2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yep works like a charm

3. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Absolutely,i did the same thing before i looked over and seen my shop drill just laughin at me!

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Get a 3/16" x 12" drill bit. You can drill and clean out any remaining tendons at the same time. Then, a #6 wire will slip right through. One word of caution about drilling with wire. It can come out unexpectedly and lodge right in your hand or fingers...makes for a nasty infection...been there, done that, too many times.

George and dale65 like this.
  5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Joey is right. One other thing, get the feet fully rehydrated before running the wire. It will make it much easier.
    Question on the crane legs, did or do you pull the tendons first?

6. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

No I did not pull tendons on the cranes.

7. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I have used the drill to help wire turkey legs for decades

Doubled-d65 likes this.
  8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you betcha but pull the stinky tendons out or you will get bugs

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    How do you pull the tendons? I see that written all of the time but am not exactly sure of what many mean by it. When I can get them they are removed but not all will come, some times or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I just skinned a sandhill yesterday,I haven't attempted to pull those tendons yet, it doesn't look fun or easy.

10. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Not sure on cranes but on Turkey's I cut the bottom of the foot and take something like a icepick and run it under the tendons and put the pick in you hand with the tendons between you fingers and pull real hard sometime one or two at a time but not sure it will work on a crane but think it would

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

yes works on cranes but you need to go up and skin down leg at heel jt and cut them free from there anything bigger than a mallard or pheasant I pull tendons otherwise your inviting bugs and have you smelled them ?

12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Great stuff here! Thanks all!!