1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Arrowheads

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by dale65, May 6, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Mo
    Most of those were picked up when I was a young man...circa 1968-1975. I’ve seen hundreds of sites destroying when acreage was landformed to improve agriculture. People traverse the Chunky River from August-October while the water is low and find some really neat artifacts.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

i love the midwest and the stone tools like axes, celts and similar stuff. I dont hear of much of that being found in GA. Lots of quartz stuff though. I even found a gorget that, in any other area wouldve been made of slate. Here it was a weak sedimentary rock. But still fun to find.

3. joeym

Anything with a hole drilled in it is a neat find!

4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

That is some neat stuff to find I'm going to try it this weekend it's been raining a lot here and the field I been finding them in has washed down a lot so hopeing to find some there if I can stand the heat long enuff like over there bill it's mostly quartz here too just had to use what they had I guess

5. joeym

The quarries where they mined the rock are still evident on the Chunky and its tributaries. The major stone used was Tallahatta quartz. Artifacts across the southeast originated from these quarries. It's really neat to see piles of stones left behind by Archaic natives 7-10,000 years ago!

6. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yeah bet that is cool to see where I been finding them must have been a big place they stayed there are chips all over the places your back will be hurting from just moveing all the flakes around it's a classic place for a camp site right on a creek bank and I found 3 or 4 grinding stones and found the stone to go with one of them that's in the pic above just hard to believe that there still laying there after all the years of plowing and people farming it

7. Bill Yox

Dale where are you again? Yes, to me its crazy that we find stuff from prehistoric man. I walk a field near me, the only one I can get in, and I drip with sweat somedays. But its something I love to do. My dream is to walk a field or creekbed at a legit NA site. Ive walked flint workshop/quarry sites where theres thousands of pieces and flakes, and found preforms and blanks. I love it all, but those stone tools are tops to me. My dream is to find a grooved axe.

In my neck of the woods its mostly quartz but I do find the odd flint point now and then. I know that theres areas in GA that do have better artifacts but Im not near them or familiar with the areas. Flint river has its flint too, Ive gone and mined that for a fellow knapper friend.

Dale maybe we ought to follow Joey around and see where he gets dropped off after an all night rain.

8. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Lol Yeah sounds like a good ideal I'm just out of Birmingham but I find the points down south about a hour is a hunting club maybe we can get together next turkey season and go that's when I found most of them when they had just plowed the filed for cotton

9. Bill your welcome here any time . Guarantee a couple of nice finds in a few hours.

But Im all in for following Joey !

10. IMG_0429.PNG Found these about 5 weeks ago. before the beans got to big in the field. Just waiting for the harvest, disking, and a rain to hit it again.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. joeym

0C6EA2AC-20C3-4792-B2C6-805AF7E7B9D5.jpeg

12. joeym

The above photo is a Tallahatta quartz quarry on a creek that feeds into the Chunky. Notice the piles of stones left behind by the last people who extracted stones here

dale65 likes this.
  13. I got a pipe made from pipestone.

Bill Yox likes this.
  14. dale65

dale65 Active Member

That's a neat looking place Joye would love to see it in person one day

Bill Yox likes this.
  15. joeym

No telling how many millions of projectiles and other artifacts originated from that quarry! It's only 5 miles from my home.

16. dale65

dale65 Active Member

That's cool Joye yeah I bet a lot of points and other stuff came out there what part of mississippi are you in?

17. joeym

East Central Mississippi. Meridian, the closest large city, is 12 miles east of Chunky on I-20.

18. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Ok that's not to far from me might try to come over that way I hunt over that way some in Livingston alabama not far from meridian would be nice just to get to talk to you about arrow heads and taxidermy sometime when you have the time

19. joeym

Sounds great!

20. Bill Yox

Im always the far away guy!