1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Calling it quits

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 7, 2018.

1. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

The plumber/electric/carpenter/concrete guys (take your pick) deal with the same things you guys do in their own way. Folks usually don't do it for fun but they do it for necessity when they need to. I really don't know a ton of hobby taxidermist,..a few here and there such as me at one time. But I know a crap load of guys who do a lot or almost all of there own home improvements when they need to....that have never done it professionally or for a living.
    Like I said earlier a lot of people get into this overestimating their costumer base. This can also be said...A good percentage of folks out there really don't notice much difference in peoples work,...it is subjective. So really why would they pay more or get anything but the cheapest.

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Open a gas station and have the absolute highest prices around.

3. The hot rod should definitely cost more!!!! You expect a mirrored finish on that. The 92 buick you paint it and be happy as long as it looks good. Lot of difference in the hours .
    Some of the best paint jobs in the world came from back yard garges and plenty of screwd up crap out of down draft. Equipment owned dont mean $hit.

Now let me ask you a ? Mr woman expert ‘lol. Should a whore charge more if she has bigger boobs than a small boobed one???????

4. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

I love it when George and I agree! Ditto to everything. Smell the roses, my friend, we're not far behind!

George likes this.
  5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Only it is gov't regulated. A maximum and a minimum you HAVE to charge.

:)

Kerby...

6. livbucks

Since the small boob one is saving up for implants she should surely charge more.

Kerby, discussing here is like talking to my wife. Even when I dont care either way Im still wrong....Hehe. Good point though. I will try to find a better analogy.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  7. Few more logs on the fire!

Should a barber charge less to a almost bald guy than a guy with a head full of hair? (Less time involved)

Should a size 8 shoe cost less than a size 12? ( less material in an 8)

Should coke in plastic cost less than one in tin both 16oz? (Plastis cheaper to produce)

Should a 4lb bass really cost less than a 8lb one? ( material and labor the same)

Should a larger neck deer cost more? ( most charge more for bigger fish same species)

Should mankins be cheaper if you go pick them up? ( no boxes or packing material, or packing labor involved)

Should all states require taxidermy licensing? ( lots dont)

Should everyone have to preform a standard test before opening shop? (whoa some want pass it)

Last one
    Should a doe mount cost less than a buck? (Customer seem to think so)

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. livbucks

The Street rod paint should cost more because the guy has money. He is a better clientelle and should get reamed accordingly.

Kerby Ross and buckfever* like this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    1- no
    2- they often times do
    3-plastic are usually bigger and cost more
    4- by the inch, yes
    5-no
    6-yes
    7-no, the only thing a license gets you is inspections by johnny law.
    8-no, that simply doesn't work on many levels
    9-no, a deer mount is a deer mount.

10. I recon to play fair need to answer my own questions.

1-yes damit i aint got but a few sprigs!
    2-wouldn’t be but a couple dollars anyways
    3-yes
    4-NO i charge a flat fee on bass , I dont care if its 2lbs or 12lbs. Its 200.00 hasn’t stopped the small ones. Average mounted anyways here 6-8 lbs
    5-no , would just be gouging.
    6-yes, but they aren’t!
    7- Louisiana is a none licensed state, So my opnion is biased.
    8-on the fence, lot of signs hung up and never mounted crap before. And same as 3bears said.
    9-no, deer head is a deer head!

11. :)I did think of another really big question!

Shouldn’t our residence printer
    ( livebucks) be given all his best taxidermy buddies here in taxnet a huge discount! HUGE!

yes , i repeat yes, he has to much $$$$ anyways.
    Spread the wealth Gray spread the wealth:p

12. livbucks

I dont have any active discounts at the present time. Please check back for updates. Thank you.

13. Kinda sounds like a boat thing!

(Inside joke)

livbucks likes this.
  14. livbucks

Im sorry, shipping isnt offered on that item!

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Steven I was once young and dumb like you. I sneered and ridiculed the old guys who tried to make me wiser. Probably just like you, i had to learn the hard way and by the time you do, you'll have outlived those who'd say,"I told you so."
    Taxidermy isn't rocket science. Anyone can do it, some just do it better. We're the only people who will readily take a cut in pay just so the customer doesn't take his mount someplace else. Whether we're rank beginner, novice,seasoned professional, or talented artisan n the methods we use to get it to the wall are the same as all the others. And the hard, cold truth of the matter is that regardless of how good it looks, it still doesn't look as good as when it took its last breath. No matter if you ascend to the pinnacle of being the very best of the best, you're still only a taxidermist in the "white pages" just like that novice.

JL likes this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

buckfeaver, Number 6 is that the mannikin costs the same, however, you are saving because you are not paying for all the shipping stuff involved.

In have never picked up a form or supplies and had the company tack on all the packing stuff and add shipping.
    The form is the form and all the packaging and shipping stuff is just that and separate.

17. I disagree , boxes, printing on the boxes, Bubble wrap, strapping tape are all expense incurred by the supplier. Those experiences are included into the price of a mankin. If you dont believe that , then may I assume you dont add in clay, pins, work order material, paint in your pricing. Im sure you do , as do they.
    In thirty years i have only seen ONE co. Show a box fee in the invoice 2.00 if i remember correctly.
    Forgive me if i miss read what i think you implied. Anyways If i should go and pick up supplies, would a slight discount be welcomed, sure. Do i intend on asking for it , no . Did i expect it no.
    All those questions are rhetorical, Answers not intended as persuasive.

18. livbucks

Maybe the box and packing are included in it when they rape you on the shipping cost?

Now you all know.

19. hummmm are you telling me my invoices you sent where only 10 bucks and the box, packing material and shipping was 150 bucks?

I want a refund !

20. livbucks

When did you ever spend 150 bucks anywhere? When you call its always how fast and how cheap. Maybe youre a parrot and just repeat what you hear all day when you answer your phone...LOL. Keep it up and Ill start marketing discount mail order alligator mountin' all over the Loosianna terrotories.