1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blood on wing feathers post wash

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by IAtaxi, May 9, 2018.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

8CCA214F-FA3C-4088-99DF-FF2788AF697E.jpeg It never fails with me on snow geese and rossies. Get the bird all nice and clean and blow dried. Go to wire wings and out come juices that were still in the wings. I’m not sure what to do different? How would you guys fix this? My past cure all has been to remove bloody feathers and glue in new. This one is going to be a challenge cause it’s a pretty big spot to hide. I was able to clean it up some with dawn and windex. But lost the smoothness of the feathers in return. My plan is to let it dry then get serious about the fix. Any before or after this particular problem advise much appreciated!

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Don't push the wire all the way out of the wing will help alot . I use peroxide in a spray bottle the kind you use when you cut your self . If you've notice when you spray It on a cut It foams and makes the blood dissaper. It will eat the blood off then dry it good. I don't push my wires out .Hope this helps
    Tommy

BrookeSFD16 and magicmick like this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

On geese are you removing the meat in the fingers/wrist area? Open that area up and get it real clean during the wash.

S[ray Peroxide then clean it real good with water. After drying it, spray on a little thinner to help remove any moisture and then hit it with compressed air to dry and fluff

magicmick likes this.
  4. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I agree with both the above responses.
    On turkeys and geese I'll remove the flesh from the alula.
    I also do not run my wire out the wing, but rather bury the sharpened end into/under the bone in the alula. You may need to secure the wire with some epoxy or bondo into the void area of the alula... then sew the incision up.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Since it's already mounted the best way to fix it (IMO) would be to immediately pluck out the stained feathers, which aren't very many, wash and dry them, and then glue them back in place after the mount is completely dry. It's easier to pluck them without damaging them if you do it before the skin hardens.

magicmick, BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.
  6. dar.k

dar.k New Member

Feather white from matuska works well

7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I have had good results using oxyclean.

8. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Paint it and call it good ... Works just fine and takes minutes instead of hrs .. Might be taboo but I do what works for me ...