1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody from New Mexico? I have a cites question.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by fish stuffer, May 12, 2018.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

If anybody can answer this question, I would aprieciate it. I have a guy said he will gift me a cougar pelt. It was given to him, been hanging in the closet. His wife don't want it in the house. He said it has a tag. I looked at it, it looks like a tannery tag. I called my local Game warden. I only want it if it is legal.I'm in GA. We don't have a cougar season. We do have bobcat season.The warden told me, if a hunter kills a bobcat, he doesn't need a cites tag. If he kills or traps to sell pelts, then he would. It is legal to sell the cougar, but at the time I talked to him I assumed the tag was cites. So, what he has is, a cougar taken in New Mexico, been tanned by professional tannery, has a tannery tag only with a number. So, if a hunter in NM gets a cougar, and is not going to sell it, does he have to get a cites tag.? Could a hunter send it to tannery and get tanned without a cites tag? Thanks, in advance if you can help.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm not from New Mexico, but if he ships it to you, the monkey is on his back if it gets caught in shipping without a CITES tag. This is very unlikely. I personally wouldn't worry about it if I wanted the pelt.

fish stuffer likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I believe that a cities animal pelt needs a cities tag until tanned or to cross state or international borders while raw. When MN had a wolf hunt, they were not issuing cities tags for those animals, which by law is needed to cross borders with raw furs, so they had to be handled instate until tanned. That is where they change from a fur to a garment. How many cities tags would need to be sewn into a martin coat? Don't take my word for any of it though, ask the ones that might write you the citation.

KatieC and fish stuffer like this.
  4. fish stuffer

Thanks guys. If anybody else has info, please chime in. He said he would write me a statement saying it is a gifted pelt and sign it. I just don't want to spend 500 on mounting it and have a gamewarden confiscate it because of no cites tag. In GA., we must have a written record of all wildlife stating who, where and when it came from. So I guess the question is, is it legal without cites tag?

5. Fishstuffer, I suggest as mentioned above, contacting New Mexico dept of Game and Fish (505) 222-4700. We are required to present the pelt within 5 days for tagging by NMDGF. But I don’t know the legalities beyond that. Since CITES is a federal law I would also inquire with USFWS, (505) 346-2525. Both numbers are for offices located in Albuquerque. Good luck!

fish stuffer likes this.
  6. fish stuffer

thank you

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Once it is tanned, the tags become a moot point in most cases unless it is some sort of endangered animal. Tanned cougar hides can be ordered from many websites and they are all legal. If you are in GA, contact your local Fish & Game and see what your states laws are on cougar parts.

fish stuffer likes this.