1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First whitetail mount.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Twolf_148, May 13, 2018.

1. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Doing my first mount. I believe my eyes are ok.

Attached Files:

2. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Far from perfect but got it done.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I’m having trouble expanding the photos up enough to really see detail, but it appears to be an exceptionally good mount for a first deer. There are a few things things here or there that can be pointed out - antlers seem tilted back too far, arm pit white appears to be pulled over shoulder, a few other things here and there - but its hard to be real accurate without closeup photos. Look at closeup photos of your mount and compare to closeup reference photos of live deer. There are tons of them in the reference photo sub-category of the “Deer and Gameheads” section. Overall, yours is an outstanding first deer IMO.

Twolf_148 likes this.
  4. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Thanks. I tried to adjust the arm pit skin but I didn't cut enough into the form to tuck it all in and adjust it better as per one of my training videos. I will take some better closer pictures so all the flaws will show better cause the more input the better I can me the next one. As far as the antlers when I cut the skull plate off. I went off a guided to cut center between orbit and burr but it made it to short so as I sanded down the base I took to much off so I had to shim up the plate plus push it back some. I think I had it fairly close so I went with it. My tips to nose are pretty close though. It was definitely a challenge and I cant wait to do my other deer. I need to post my rattlesnake I did for some help and guidance with it. It was my very first full mount of any creature but has any issues. Thanks again. This evening I will take better pictures of the deer. Although the clay work and some skin has dried really fast as it was fairly hot yesterday and I'm working out of a small shed, I might need to do my next one in the garage maybe. Thanks again for your input.

5. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Try putting your antlers on with bondo that way you can just hold them where you want them till it dries don't take long when it warm and you can use your two fingers from the bur to the eye is a good place to start most are close to that unless you got really big fingers lol and try not to put too much clay in front of your eyes it don't take as much clay around the eyes as you think but you on a good start keep at it

Twolf_148 likes this.
  6. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Thanks I will keep that in mind. I had a close measurement from orbit to bur so I got it fairly close. I was going to try to bondo them but I just used some wood shims and screwed it down once I got the skin back on. I only have been using the short Y incision. My second deer is set up and about ready to go but I have to free up my stand now;) I will try to get another post with some good preliminary pictures of my second deer posted so I can have more insight for it. Thanks I tried to do my best I redid the eyes several times before I decided I had them ok. Definitely takes a lot of time, patience and practice.

7. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Twolf_148 likes this.
  8. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok thanks. I will try to do bondo on my next one. It is in way better shape already I believe. Deer season is gonna have to come again so I can get more practice. I atleast have a bobcat to mess with still and a local high fence ranch owner I know has a few foxes he said he would give to me that are not to messed up.

9. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    20180514_184036.jpg 20180514_184141.jpg 20180514_184202.jpg 20180514_184238.jpg 20180514_184252.jpg 20180514_184217.jpg Hope these are better. My ears were supposed to be up and back more. 20180428_112118.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  10. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Just work on your eyes keep the skin pushed in in the front of the eye tight to the form and might try useing a ball of clay in the ear butts and just form the shape from the outside and make sure you skin is fleshed thin and you got lose skin and it's not tight around the eyes and yeah inside where it's cool would help with drying if not try a trash bag over it for a few days to slow down the dry time

11. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Cool I used McKenzie ear liners and butts but it seems they don't fit all forms that great.

12. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Good job, but I would get some eye good eye reference. The upper eyelid crease is way off. Eyelashes on upper lid should be angled down somewhat.

aewalsh likes this.
  13. Tony Corleone

Tony Corleone New Member

Get a Redi Mount reference head from McKenzie

14. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Thanks. I have been saving pictures need to print some off now.