1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antique song birds/ glassed : pics attached! Questions!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckfever*, May 13, 2018.

1. 7FE4477B-E0BF-4745-B1FA-B2AD68A816EA.jpeg 1C5022F5-B42D-4940-9BFE-C8ED0700CDF6.jpeg 4FE50308-7965-4CE2-8E7E-2BE4488963CE.jpeg I had a guy buy an old antique store that has been closed probably around 25 plus years. Most of the stuff was gone. Rumbling in the attic he run across a glassed case made to recess into a wall. In the case is a lot of mounted birds. They are in relative good shape. Faded but in good shape. They are sat in a habitat seen like a museum peice would be done. Some of the smallest of birds are in nest. I took a few pics but the glare off the glass makes it hard to view. He is inquiring about selling the piece. Wants a ball park figure on value. I dont have a clue. The legal issue I believe would be ok i guess. You can tell this thing is extremely old snd has to predate the songbird laws. However there is no real way to prove that. I did not see any type of identity taxidermist labels. Though i really didnt come it over that good. Wasnt something that looked like it need flipping, turning etc.
    My self im more interested if any one might have some insight on who, when, where about it.
    I know there is a cardinal, Orieo, red wing, small hearing, quail, blue bird LOTS more in there. Guessing around 20 birds. Guy wouldn’t stop talking long enough to get a count. The pics just dont show all the birds in there. They are ever wheres. I cant see any of the nesting birds in the pics, but there are at leadt 3. Take a look at the pics. Tell me what yall think.

2. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

Others here will certainly know more but I remember seeing songbirds mounted in a "glass dome" if you will,...pretty sure it was a "thing" in the Victorian era. Not sure about these but they certainly have some age on them. Nice find.

Last edited: May 13, 2018

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Id check into the legal first.

4. I agree but Really no way to. But if this thing has to predate the migratory bird act

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

these are very common and most are done in the late 1800's one word of caution..........all will have been poisoned with arsenic. they are as potent today as yesteryear. do not open them up. nearly every taxidermist from back in those days died of arsenic poisoning. they are legal to own. back in those days you could kill anything. problem is they cannot be sold since nearly all the species displayed in those cases are protected today. so you can have them, you can donate them, and you can give them away. they just cannot be sold. just enjoy them for what they are and how much work went into all of them at a time when they would have been charging less than a buck or so each to mount them. then realize that everything mounted today more than likely won't be around in 100 or so years like those are.

6. Thank you sir, i knew it was old but never give 1800s a thought.
    I did know they were most likely done with arsenic.
    Another question there are two that needs to be but back in place. One back in a nest another back on the limb.

Leave them as are are take great caution upon caution and put them back?

Both are laying on their sides in the bottom

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

if you chose to open it up, I would do so with latex gloves on and a respirator. I'm telling you, you don't want the chance to suck anything in your mouth or nose or get anything on your hands. do not play around with anything else inside. I personally would just leave it alone. be cautious..