1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My second whitetail mount.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Twolf_148, May 14, 2018.

1. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Here are some pics of what I have going so far on my second mount. I think i will use clay for the ear butts instead of the premade ones, they are nice but seem to big maybe. 20180501_185350.jpg 20180501_185322.jpg 20180501_185334.jpg 20180501_185402.jpg

2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

I can't say much about them I don't use them but how is you skin tanned and fleshed?

3. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    I tanned with pickle and McKenzie brush on tan rolled skin side in set in a plastic bag over night then washed in part plus and froze. So far unfroze once to measure better and remove cartilage. I have thinned it as best I could with a mini flesher and a skife knife.

4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Cool sounds good just the thinner you have the skin the better the results will be maybe try to cut a small grove in the front of the eyes to the tear gland just remember all forms are not ready to put a skin on you can all way make it like you want and make sure you eye to nose length it right and you antler are not to far back when you put your skin on if it don't look right take it back off and change it to make it right you don't want to have to pull you skin down to your eye . I'm no expert but I have been through all your doing a long time ago just trying to make it a little easier on ya . Good luck and just haveing fun doing it is want matters you will get better every one you do

5. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    I cut out the tear duct already but are u meaning in between the eye and there? I also have it sanded down so it's not slick. 20180501_200648.jpg 20180501_200819.jpg 20180501_200907.jpg

6. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yeah you can cut a small grove in between there and the eye I do it with a knife and rasp it down smooth I cut a wedge out at the top of the tear gland stick the knife in the tear gland at a angle down a little and in deep then cut down on both sides on top of the gland and then cut it across to each cut you made and it should come out like a wedge then sand just a little on it and stick it back in it should have just a really small cut there you skin will go in you tear gland when you mount you deer just pull the wedge out some put glue in it and when you push your skin in it you can push it down from the outside and stick a pin in it the skin should be hair to hair just keep a check on it for a week or two and it should stay there is kind of hard to explain hope you get what I'm trying to say

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Look at some profile reference photos and take note of the level of the base of the ear butt and where it is in relation to the bottom of the eye. The ears and ear butts appear to be too large for that form and are quite a bit below the level of the eye. Be sure and test fit the ear skin with the ear liners.

dale65 likes this.
  8. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok cool. I did mine with a knife then sanded with a small dremel but. My rasps didn't make it in on time but I have them now

9. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok will do. I had just moked it up. They are medium ear liners and butts. I have smalls but the small butts don't seem much smaller. I will definitely test fit ear liners when I get it out and know what to use then. Also if i put the butts up higher it seemed to tell from the back. 20180501_200704.jpg

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The top of your earbutts from the rear should be slightly higher or even with the top of the skull plate. Yours sit well below the top of the skull plate from the rear.

11. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok. I started watching D. Price training video and he explains very thoroughly how to bond the skull plate. I'm gonna get it set better and then I can reposition the ears. I will probably try to sculpt my own ear butts this time but may try to move the premade ones up first. Thanks for your input.

12. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Most forms already have a starting of the base of a earbutt just as the form you have . If you choose to use premade earbutt you need to cut the foam away to make them fit where they are supposed to be. If you don't cut the foam your earbutts will always be to long . Use good reference and study it will tell you everything you need to know .
    Tommy

13. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok cool. I may try that since I have the ear butts already. Just have to figure out how much to cut off;) Thanks

14. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Finally back to work on my mount. Worked on my cape now my antlers. 20180609_150608.jpg 20180609_151929.jpg 20180609_150651.jpg

15. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    20180623_153330.jpg Two weekends ago I got my buck mounted up but was not able to post pictures due to the site being down. This weekend I took him to the Texas Taxidermy Association Convetion and Show and put him in the professional division for a great critique and ended up with an 83 point score and a second place red ribbon. I have lots to improve on but learnt so much over the past few days to help me improve when I do another mount;):)

16. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Congrats on the ribbon good job on the deer you will only get better with time and the more you do

17. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Thank you and yes will continue to strive to do better and better.