1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sealing Charcoal?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 15, 2018.

1. Just started using charcoal to do markings on bass and crappie. My question is when do you guys like to do them before or after applying all the other colors? And, do I seal them before applying final gloss and ,if so, what are some recommendations to use? I gloss with 2 part clearcoat. Thanks

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Personally, I dislike the looks of charcoal for anything other than mottle type applications. In fact, I never use it anymore . You will have to seal it throughout the process, and apply it in different layers as it diffuses itself quite a bit. What you see isn't what you get when you clear/seal it. If you start using an airbrush, and focus on controlling that, I think you will have better results.

Mudbat, George and 3bears like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, what Jimmy says but when I do use it I will set the base tones of my fish and then do the markings and seal with a couple flash coats of clear lacquer spray that comes in a rattle can. As Jimmy said they tend to diffuse throughout the paint job so you often have to add more to them, for that I then use the airbrush not actually painting them so to speak but redefining them.

4. I have done a couple crappie already and used the charcoal after painting and before final gloss. Used to do all spots with airbrush. Just trying something different. Thanks for the tips.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

If you want the charcoals to grab better, don't seal your fish before applying...

6. Thanks Marty! I might try your painting technique next, sounds interesting.

nemo and FishArt like this.
  7. JHardman

JHardman Member

Wyoming
    I really like using charcoal for some base work, for this I use clear flat acrylic.
    keep in mind the flat will kill any iridescent powders you have already put down so you will need to plan your work carefully. The flat finish helps with the diffusing mentioned above, it really grabs the dry media much better.

slabbandit and FishArt like this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

3Bears,
    What brand of clear lacquer in a can do you use and where do you get it? I'm using bullseye shellac in a rattle can but miss the clear lacquer. Ace Hardware discontinued their clear lacquer sealer .

9. Gary R

Gary R Member

Jimmy L taught me to use the clear lacquer made by Rustoleum. But it has to be the one with a BLACK CHAIR on the can.

Lance.G likes this.
  10. Gary R

Gary R Member

rust-oleum-specialty-craft-spray-paint-1906830-64_1000.jpg

JL and FishArt like this.
  11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

That's what I use also, same can....buy at Home Depot usually but they sell it most paint stores.

12. Going out to get it now!

13. Gary R

Gary R Member

Wal-Mart also sells the paint, like I posted the photo of. Just remember it too, is lacquer.....so use flash coats at first. Otherwise it will really mess up your pretty paint job.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sorry Cecil, I was out of town chasing turkeys, to answer you it is exactly what Gary R posted.