1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

No I'm not complaining but...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, May 16, 2018.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Is anyone else being put on hold a lot when you call to place an order with McKenzie? Maybe it's just bad timing but it's been happening to me a lot in the last few months.

Perhaps they are like any other company that tries to get fewer employees to the job to increase the profit margin.

Was told this winter they were having employee issues due to the flu. Can't believe they are still dealing with the flu.

Just asking and please don't get your panties in a wad if you assume I'm whining. :p

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Mark V. likes this.
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I place all my orders on line. I use Matuska. Quick and easy. I tried Van Dykes (Mackenzie) online. Way too many steps. You select, confirm and then you have to reload the "keep shopping" page to get back.... and if your not careful, it will double the quantity!

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

On hold, but only for a minute every time. My guess is they too are getting hit hard with RoboCalls and it's one way to weed out the real folks from the robots. I get 5-10 RoboCalls a day. Sometimes double that. If you have any internet presence, you'll get 'em. I cannot imagine how many they get! It's actually probably saving us money b/c they'd need another full-timer just to deal with the RoboCalls!!!

Mark V. likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I get those robo calls too Marty! Thank God for caller I.D. Knowing people all over this country everybody seems to be getting them. The no call list I signed up for and have renewed is worthless.

How much you wanna bet our congress critters have been lobbied to allow this for money in their campaign coffers? Our phone companies are probably profiting too.

WilliamHansen and Mark V. like this.
  5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I get about 8 calls a day from Google.

Mark V. likes this.
  6. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Mckenzie is just like every other business in the country with a "help wanted" sign out front. Unemployment the lowest % since 1969. It's a good problem.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Being on hold for a minute doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "out of stock" or "backordered" items. I remember a day when I could go 2 or 3 years without McKenzie being out of something. Now it's every order.

Cory likes this.
  8. FishArt

Cecil, Actually Caller ID doesn't help much at all with Spoofing. And yes the "Do Not Call" list is also borderline useless as well. It's a real problem. You answer the phone for 1 potential customer out of 50 RoboCalls or you screen them all and hope that real customer leaves a message. I do the latter. I rarely answer my business line anymore and simply let it go to VM...

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

That's true but the caller I.D. does help a little. If it says it says it's Washington D.C. or the Post Office or my local telephone company I know it's a waste of time. And if I recognize the name or number I can pick it up right away.

I also let the answering machine kick in. I have enough work if the potential customer doesn't want to leave a message then so be it. If they start to leave a message and I can tell it's legit I will pick it up midstream.

JL and FishArt like this.
  10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I think a lot of people have gone to using answering machines to screen out robocalls.

I have wondered about that Cecil!

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have a "special needs" son who watches TV all day long and the caller's name appears on the bottom of the screen when a call comes in. If he doesn't recognize the name or number he lets me know and we let it go to voice mail. No voice mail...not interested.

Cecil likes this.
  12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have to wait a few minutes sometimes.

13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Try calling a Medical insurance company.
    First you have to navigate thru a slew on push 1 for english, etc. After an average of 3 prompts, you hold until a rep is free. I've held more than 45 minutes several times. If you're real lucky you might get someone from India or the Philippines that you struggle to communicate with.

A lot of times Medicare requires you to go thru their automated system first before they will even talk to you. So after you hold for 10 minutes or more, they shut you down and send you back to square 1
    Blue Cross started to offer a callback option. If you are going to hold more than a few minutes you can punch in your number and they will call you back when it's your turn. Maybe McKenzie should offer that.
    Lots of phone time in my gig. It sucks

Cecil likes this.
  14. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

The google calls are sickening

nemo likes this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Try calling the VA. You are caller 63. Yikes! Thankfully it is usually between 20 and 30.

George and Cecil like this.
  16. FishArt

It helps a little. But, if they're lucky they can spoof your known numbers you let in too! Highly unlikely they'll luck upon one of your customers numbers, but who remembers them anyway? I have had neighbors and friends numbers (and names) show up on my Caller ID too that were Robo Calls. in fact, "Fish Specialties", my own number came up once and confused the heck out of me - lol! Blocking even without spoofing is usually a waste of time too as landlines usually have a finite number you can block. More importantly the RoboCalls spit out their own random numbers so they keep changing slightly.

As far as our government/politicians getting kick-backs to allow Robo calls, I don't buy it. They simply don't know of any easy way to stop them. They're coming from servers from other countries and oftentimes multiple layers. Impossible to stop. I hate the SOB's!!! The best we can hope for is our phone companies staying on top of the RoboCalls and screening them out before they get to us. Ever changing though so it can't stop them all...

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Actually McKenzie does. That's what I did the last time.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I still complained to one of my state reps. I got a call back from one of his aides and her response was, "big deal I had my identity stolen."

So something even worse happened to her was a good response?

19. FishArt

It probably wasn't even your state rep Cecil but somebody spoofing you - lol! ;) Did you see they now have Google A.I. software that can make calls for you for appointments and such? Pretty cool, but pretty soon we'll not have to socialize with others at all!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Our reps rarely respond to us anyway. They have assistants and they send out form letters that insult my intelligence. They can all go to hell for all I care.

FishArt likes this.