1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Driftwood....Gloss or not??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 16, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

image.jpeg I have a unique piece of driftwood that I want to use. Do you guys do anything to your driftwood like spraying them with any kind of gloss or do you just use it like it is??

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Ive done it once. It looked good but sucked up gloss like it was going out of style! Took numerous coats to get a nice even glossy coat.

slabbandit and socalmountainman like this.

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Probably just leave it natural and add a little moss

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

leave them dry but add fake aquatic weeds, mussel shells (saltwater as freshwater are usually illegal to own), and snail shells from my ponds. If it's a species found in rocky areas like smallmouth bass I add a few artificial rocks I make and paint from left over fish filler. All are added using hot glue.

5. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

And they're hard as heck to keep clean a few months down the road. Seems like after gloss they collect dust like crazy...

Cecil likes this.
  6. Multispeciestamer

Multispeciestamer Active Member

I have a stream brown mount done by another member on here, who stained and I think polyurethane coated the drift wood and I love it.

7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

If the customer wants I will sand and gloss red cedar. Really brings of some cool colors. Fish has to be the right color though or it will just blend with the wood

8. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks for the replies......sounds like I need to just add some rocks or grass and leave it be. What's cool about this piece is that it has 2 small rocks in it at the bottom that the wood has grown around!

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was't tumbled in gravel? That's what is done with the cedar driftwood from Texas many of the suppliers sell. Smooths out the cedar to make it look like driftwood, which it really isn't.

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Toss that cedar in the water and it becomes driftwood Cecil - lol! Driftwood use to mean any wood that was removed from the water. But now has evolved into meaning any wood that has been exposed to the elements and dried.

I sanded the one piece of tumbled cedar that I glossed. I don't think tumbling it brings it down to a sheen/polish that sanding will do. It seemed like sanding it down to 220 grit seemed to suck up less stain and gloss (I tried both staining and glossing first before going to sanding). Maybe closing up the "pores" more with sanding? I dunno, but it seemed to smooth it up quite a bit vs just the tumbling. Very time consuming getting sandpaper into all (most) of those crevices in the d-wood!

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Sometimes I do gloss and other times I don't depends on the mount and the driftwood. But when I do if the wood fits in my large microwave I fry the bugs for 2 minutes. That will pop popcorn popping. After it cools I spray with shellac to suit my plan for the mount. Works for me. Good luck.

FishArt likes this.