1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Epoxy Color Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 17, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

When I do the epoxy work under the jaw on my mounts and sometimes at the base of the pectoral fin I have a hard time getting the white to hide it. Do you guys just use the "natural" epoxy or do you have a certain color you use to make it paint better? Is there a color paint or mixture that would blend these repaired areas better on the lower parts of my mounts?

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Primer

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I use natural for most applications but I also keep a tub of white epoxie sculpt and use it in the areas that will be mainly white on the finished fish. This makes it easier for your white paint to cover easily. I also add a little acrylic tube paint to the natural for blending in the top of heads on skin mounts and it usually comes really close to matching the background color of the upper back. Again, it just makes it easier to blend all your colors. Dry tempera paint or powdered mortar dye will also work well. This trick works well if you have to blend in a tail junction or fin butt on a skin mount.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Primer is a pain. Spraying your epoxies next to impossible to not hit something else that you do not want to hit when using a can. Or, loading it up in your air brush necessitates extra cleaning especially if you use WB paints. I've never been able to get good coverage with any white without doing multiple layers and building up. Too much white in one spraying can cause runs or even cracking of the paint over time. I simply hit all of my whites lightly over epoxies on several fish at a time and by the time I get back to the first fish the first sprayed, light layer of white has dried. Repeat til done. I also build up on epoxies with other colors too the same way. Although usually fewer coats needed...

slabbandit likes this.
  5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Apoxie Sculpt or Magic Sculpt? The latter is easier to paint over and hide. The former dries to a gray verses the latter. Switched to Magic Sculpt a long time ago for that reason.

I use off-white wherever I want to paint white. Keep in mind in some areas if you are going to add another color over your white. you don't need to get a perfect cover.

I use a dark brown very lightly on my head and skin areas I've applied the Magic Sculpt.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    slabbandit likes this.
  6. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Apoxie Sculpt....may try Majic Sculpt when this runs out.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A little secret an old timer told me once that works: on salmonids if you paint silver (I use chrome pearlescent) on the bellies before adding the white you won't have to use as much white.

Sotired and slabbandit like this.