1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Do You Like to do Bass Markings?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 18, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

It's been 4 years since my shop burned and I had mounted a largemouth bass. Granted,I'm still wrestling with a new airbrush, but I guess I have lost my touch on doing the big row of markings down the side of this bass I am working on.
    How do you guys like to do these markings, airbrush (give favorite air pressures), or draw them on somehow?

2. Charcoal is one way,you can tone it down with a soft brush.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I thin black or whatever dark color. Number 3 tip in my Single Action Paasche. Then I do the opposite of what many probably do. I crank the PSI up and close the tip. This only allows a small amount of paint through and lots of air.

P.S. I use vine charcoal for the lower "spots" or sometimes a pencil or even hand painting. Depends on my mood and what I'm trying to replicate at the time. You can try using a detail air brush and hitting these at a severe angle as some do. But, I've never had that much control of my air brush to pull it off very well so I use the other methods down below instead...

slabbandit likes this.
  4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Marty! I spent this morning messing with the viscosity of my detail paint, air pressure, and airbrush adjustments. Finally got it somewhat satisfactory so I painted my bass. I think the markings look pretty good. Definitely will be trying your techniques also.

FishArt likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have a Badger Spirit airbrush with an ultra-fine nozzle and needle. I use thinned Polytranspar laquer dark brown with a drop of retarder. After painting a row of spots, open brush wide open to purge it, then go for another row.

slabbandit likes this.
  6. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use a small roughed-up artist brush and stipple the markings on the bass.

Hoythunter22 and slabbandit like this.