1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Being A Taxidermist and Moving 560 Miles Away

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Dave York, May 19, 2018.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

we are down sizing and moving closer to 9 of our grandkids. Taxidermists are pack rats. I definitely will use those pieces of foam that I boxed up. Really?
    What about 150 pounds of elk sheds? Yep, save Um. I’ve driven three trips south in a U-Haul towing a trailer with a vehicle on it this week. Unloading then leaving the next morning for Home. Four full chest freezers. Enough of my own stuff in there to keep a taxidermist busy for 6 months. A whole bunch of forms that I was dumb enough to buy at our state show because they were so cheap at the auction.
    The only person this probably doesn’t apply to is George. I just don’t see him as a collector of typical Taxidermy stuff that he might use someday.
    I know I’m going to mount that Big male African lion someday. That’s in the freezer.

George, KatieC, Megan :) and 5 others like this.
  2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Just put wheels under them and slide them onto the trailer still full....obviously. No sense even looking inside them.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You have my sympathy. My next move will be to the cemetery. No way do I plan on moving a lifetime collection of junk!

Westcoast, George and pir^2h like this.
  4. Dave York

Made my final trip yesterday. Nothing like towing a 31’ travel trailer in LA traffic. Three lanes merged into one. I’m only going 40 and in the center lane. The cars dive in from both sides and slam on the brakes. I gernade the brakes but realize I’m not going to stop so I had to make a hard right into the other lane which didn’t have any cars. Fortunately! You can’t drive in traffic with a defendable space. As soon as you do cars dive in front of you as I found out.

tracie w and socalmountainman like this.
  5. rany13

rany13 New Member

Hi I am looking for African male lion skin for full mount. Do you have one thanks

6. Dave York

Yes unfortunately I don’t believe it can be sold outside of my state

7. rany13

rany13 New Member

Oh ok thanks for quick reply. I am in Toronto Canada.
    Do you know any place where I can find.
    Also what should be the rough cost for African male lion tanned skin. Thanks

8. Dave York

I happened to get mine from a small zoo where it had died. As far as cost I don’t have any idea what the cost would be.

9. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Moving absolutely sucks. It’s one of the worst things ever.

buuuuuut…. You trying to offload them elk sheds? My horde is much too small.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have an old tenant house on my place chock full of cypress and cedar lumber, forms and pieces of forms of all sizes and shapes, and tons of other stuff the means nothing to anyone but me. When I'm gone, my son's will probably toss a match to it!

11. tracie w

tracie w Active Member

It was fun reading this! I totally understand as I was a teacher for 30 years-believe me, we are right there with u. 12 years later-I am finally cleaning out my file cabinets and u ought to see the boxes of activities-lol. I can guarantee u -someone will put a match to my junk. Good luck Dave

pir^2h likes this.
  12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My wife retired as a college professor 12 years ago. About 6 years ago a student contacted her about a final grade on her report card. It had been coded as a B rather than an A by the Registrar. After digging through boxes that would have normally been tossed out, she pulled the students records and BAM...the student had earned an A! Why she waited so long to contact my wife remains a mystery. It took an act of Congress to get it corrected with the Registrar!

Clovis Point likes this.
  13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Moving definitely sucks!
    After the last move, I told my wife never again. I have able to hold her off for 25yrs.

I have been saving various emails since I started my business in 2011. Some have saved me in the past when I needed a paper trail or back up.

I recently deleted almost 13000. Now I'm hoping I don't find myself saying, Damn why did I delete that.

Keith, pir^2h and Dave York like this.
  14. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I am in the thirteenth year at the school I am at right now. I know I need to get rid of some of my stuff but dang, as soon as I do I am going to need it for something so there it sits. When I do retire (if I don't crock first) I am going to give away or discard EVERYTHING.

15. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I've been heavily involved with my church's council and boards for many years now. I have a ton of emails that I am scared to delete in case they are needed.

We recently needed a record of the church's "Articles of Incorporation" from 1945. Fortunately for us, the county courthouse/offices had a copy still on file.

Clew and EA like this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When my shop burned down several years ago, it had a 100 year old barn attached to it that was full of wood in lumber and limb form as well as all kinds of supplies, forms and such. The fire department said it was one of the fastest and hottest fire the could remember. I never missed most of the stuff in there and found that I really didn't "need" most of it. Now I have an annual burn pile to keep me from hoarding.

Ron B and Clew like this.
  17. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Guess I need help
    Can’t let go

18. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

Keith I'm far to old to be a computer dude but put that stuff (Emails) on a Thumb drive and then delete it off your computer. Its like it's locked in a safe till ya need it. If your computer gets a virus your toast. Unless you printed all those emails and are saving them on paper? If so have them scanned to a drive and you will have to never worry and it takes up the space of a small pocket knife in your pants pocket.

Keith likes this.
  19. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Oh, they are definitely backed up, I learned that a long time ago. I've had computer crashes.

I had a 386 crash in college, and lost about a quarters worth of work that I couldn't retrieve.