1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African trophies

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ljones, May 23, 2018.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Once cleared thru customs and fish and wildlife by a customs broker can salt dried skins and cleaned skulls be shipped directly to a taxidermist that does not have a USDA permit ??

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

They are not supposed to , by law they should go to a usda approved facility BUT! It happens all the time and sometimes they’ll release them to the hunter himself I’ve had hunters drive to the airport and they loaded them in their truck . They are all over the place on this one depending on the port of entry.

John C likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jerry, Why can't they? Is it written that you have to be usda approved to mount any african or imported trophies, I have no experience in dealing with that issue, anything I've mounted from other countries was carried in by the customer.

4. Jerry Huffaker

No you don't have to be usda approved to mount them just to receive the raw salted shipments. All our shipments go directly to the tannery who is usda approved then they ship us the tanned skins and skulls later.

John C likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Interesting, I'm guessing that they don't do anything with the skulls, just tan the skins. Another one of those stupid, feel good, do nothing rules. Thanks for the reply.

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Yes they do. The skulls have to be boiled at the USDA approved business. At lest it was that way when I went to Africa back in 2000.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. Jerry Huffaker

It's been that way for decades 3bears, it's not a big deal at all. It's way better for us and the customer. I don't have to deal with the crates and I don't have to ship the skins to the tannery. The tannery pulls everything, tans the skins then ships everything to me ready to mount. It works very well and I don't have to mess with opening and disposing of crates. Just dealing with the crates is a half days labor at the least depending on how large they are.
    If I was usda approved I'd have to have a special room for treating and storing swine and primates.
    They don't boil all the skulls, just primates and swine

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    John C likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ok, that makes sense Jerry. Thanks for enlightening me on the subject. I sure as heck wouldn't have the space for that in my small shop.

9. The tannery still ships me the skulls and antlers in the original crates.

Jerry I don't mind them at all. I take the plyboard off and use it on bases, or what ever. I put a couple up stairs to store LS mankins that didnt work out. Another in a closet that has crap leather,felt,padding. I will find a use for them.

Jerry Huffaker likes this.
  10. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

In suppose it depends on the USDA agent as to how strict he or she is at enforcement for their territory. I've worked a few different shops over these 30 some years, and I have never seen any additional steps taken after the salted skins were taken out of the crates. Other than de-greasing the skulls for euro's, nothing extra was done for the skulls.

Some plywood crates are re-purposed for the wood, others are burnt in a brush pile.

11. Jerry Huffaker

You're correct Keith is does depend on the agent, some are to the letter some not.

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

No swine or primates, shipped directly to me from Fauna and
    Flora, otherwise to USDA facility