1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Archie Phillips ~ 1935–2018

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, May 24, 2018.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

phillips_archie.jpg

Taxidermy legend Archie Phillips of Fairfield, Alabama passed away May 23, 2018 after a long illness.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    D.Price, dale65 and Mark V. like this.
  2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Sorry to hear that I been going to his shop about 25 years and he always talked or at least spoke when he seen me he did a lot for taxidermy back in the day when no one would tell you much at least for me he did. RIP ARICHIE

Mark V. likes this.

3. I hate to hear this news. I stopped in several years ago on a trip through Birmingham. Archie was gracious with his time and encouraging with his words. What more can you ask for? Rest in peace, Archie.

Mark V. likes this.
  4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

A pioneer in fiberglass reproductions. I used many of his blanks throughout the years. And I have most of his books. His book on starting a business was instrumental in teaching me about business in general at such a young age. His line "if you are behind a year in work means you are probably about 30% too cheap" I will never forget. He will be truly missed!
    ! Archie Phillips book.jpg

aewalsh and Mark V. like this.
  5. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yep the first deer I mounted I got his book on mounting white tail it look crappy but if not for his book I would have not even knew where to start

Mark V. likes this.
  6. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Pretty much any saltwater etc. I ever worked on was from Archie. Never met him in person but talked many times on the phone. Will be greatly missed in our industry . Pictured is biggest fish I ever worked on from Archie 1200 LB Black Marlin

Attached Files:

JL, dale65 and socalmountainman like this.
  7. 3daddysinc.

3daddysinc. 3Daddys taxidermy studio and wildlife attractants

Big Arch... We talked turkey hunting just a couple of months ago. Gods speed .We love ya.

Mark V. likes this.
  8. 3daddysinc.

3daddysinc. 3Daddys taxidermy studio and wildlife attractants

If anyone wants to send flowers. Send them to. 1st Baptist church .724 4th st. Pleasant grove Alabama. 35127

Mark V. likes this.
  9. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Visitation for Archie Phillips is Saturday, May 26th from 12:00 to 2:00 at First Baptist Church, 724 4th St., Pleasant Grove, Alabama 35127. The funeral service will be at 2:00 p.m. graveside in Elmwood Cemetery.

Mark V. likes this.
  10. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Very sad..... He is one man, in this industry, that I really wanted to meet.. Dang..
    Prayers for his family..

Mark V. likes this.
  11. NTA

NTA National Taxidermists Association

Past NTA President Mr. Archie. May you rest in peace sir.

Mark V. likes this.
  12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Sorry to hear that another legend has gone. RIP Archie.

Mark V. likes this.
  13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Condolences to his family. Archie did what most of us could never do. He succeeded by pursuing his own specialty niche in taxidermy. He took the money, invested it in real estate, and succeeded. I had the pleasure of attending many of his seminars. I have bought supplies from him for 30+ years. He was a true "people person" and very innovative in all of his endeavors. He will be truly missed. Rest in Peace, Archie

Mark V. likes this.
  14. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Condolences to Archie's family. We talked at many show's . The industry will miss his business knowledge and him . In the old days I used some of his forms . RIP Archie.

Mark V. likes this.
  15. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Sad news, my condolences to his family.

Mark V. likes this.
  16. Jon S

Jon S Active Member

And he really could skin a bass in 5 minutes. Didn't take him long to paint one either.

Mark V. likes this.
  17. Met him once and watched him skin a bass. Liked his videos he used to make also. He will truly be missed. My condolences to the family.

Mark V. likes this.
  18. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

One day we all share a day where we will go to the Father and a few folks teach us things before they do. Archie taught me a lot about business and how to be a business man in taxidermy for that I m grateful. I had the opportunity to serve wit him on the Board of the NTA and I always remember how nervous and honored I felt when he would sit in the front row of my seminars. A full life lived! God Speed Archie!

Rick Krane

socalmountainman likes this.
  19. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i met him at the NTA convention at owensboro Kentucky, had to be back in 1973 or 1974 seemed like a very nice guy. rip archie

20. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Wow ... sad to hear. My condolences to all his friends and family. I remember meeting Archie for the first time at my first NTA convention in 1977, up in Albany NY. Always had a BIG smile! I bought his book: "How To Mount Lifesize Animals" when it first came out. I was just looking at the chapter where he interviewed Sinclair Clark the other day, and now Archie has left us. Rest in Peace, good sir.

socalmountainman likes this.