1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mourning Doves Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by BeckyBird, May 25, 2018.

1. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Hi all! I know someone who is looking for a mourning dove, possibly 2-3 (since it often takes a few doves to make one good mount). Do you have any to spare? He will pay for shipping.

Thanks!

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

why does it take more than one to make one mount? makes no sense

3. I can understand the request for multiple doves. Maybe someone can share a technique to toughen their skin, I haven’t tried to mount one in over 40 yrs. But as I recall, not only are they very thin skinned, but the feathers fall out just by looking at them. Takes a very gentle touch.

4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

These doves are not for me, but another taxidermist I know. Agua3777 is correct that doves are tough to mount. Usually it helps to have several doves to work with, in case one has a great body but shot tail feathers, or something like that. You can use another dove's feathers to fill in any missing feathers for the one you want to mount. I had several spares, but threw them out last fall when I cleaned my freezer.

He wanted to know if I had any spares for him, which I don't, but maybe somebody here has a few they are willing to send. We may just have to wait until the next fall dove hunt!