1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need to Strip and Repaint Bass Repro (Question)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, May 28, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I have an Archie Phillips blank that was silver when I got it. This is my first Repro to ever do. The silver made it a little tough for me to see my paint going on but I had a decent paint job going.....until I spilled paint down the side! Well as I rinsed with lacquer thinner and repainted small areas problems started snowballing!
    Well, since I have a Repro crappie to repainted for a friend later I thought I would take the opportunity to strip and repainted this replica for the experience of doing it.
    I am sure that the silver will come off also as it already has in places leaving a pale pink. My question is should I prime with some sort of primer and what color?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'd white it out and then add my silver, using a silver pearl to get the base I want.

slabbandit and dale65 like this.

3. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Once you white it out you can spray a dark color on it and antique it makes a nice base to paint on

slabbandit likes this.
  4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

You don't have to put primer on it once you get the other paint off just use white and go from there I have just sprayed them with white paint out of a can

slabbandit likes this.
  5. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I guess not being a skin mount it really isn't necessary to use a fungicidal sealer? I did the first time thinking that it would help the paint adhere.

6. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

white-zinsser-primers-272479-64_1000.jpg

slabbandit likes this.