1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much from fishcarving's?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Taxi-lover, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Hi, fishy guy's!
    I hope I can have answers for this one... I'm done fishcarving's for myself quite a few but never sold one. Now I'm starting to get order's from fishermen,but I don't actually know what to charge! I hope you could give me some of your prices per inch from realistic woodcarving(cold water fish). Thank you for your time and advise beforehand!!

JP

2. That is a real tough question. I am not sure, I am in the same boat. I have a few trout carvings i did and have no clue what to charge.
    anxious to see what people say

3. Impossible to give you an answer because only you know how much time you have into a piece. Also, the quality of the carving comes into play. I have seen alot of art work that was under valued/priced by the artist because he/she did not realize how nice their piece was...then....I have seen some artwork WAY over priced because the artist did not realize their work was just, OK. Only you know what you need to get out of it.

4. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Why not get what YOU need to make for your work. If it takes you 20 more hours than somebody else, and you dont figure in your time, then why even do it if you cant pay yourself an ok wage? Time is money too, so if your making a living at this, and you don't make sure your paying yourself for your time, well, you wont be in business long. Its that simple.

5. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Guys, I myself haven't sold any fish carvings yet, so I can't answer that question for you.
    However, if you head over to the fish carving forum at fcunderground.proboards80.com,
    some of the professionals over there might be able to help out.
    I hope that helps.

6. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Thank's guy's! I know it's hard to tell someone the price,but I was hoping that I can get some idea what someone charge. I know that artist like Clark Schreibeis get's paid better than many other and of course quality costs. I spend well over 20 hours active work with carvings any size. It's just so hard to decide what my time cost's!!! Please,give me some direction if possible..can I price tham as mounted fish or more? Some direction would be appreciated! But thank you anyway,I know it's hard question to answer!!

7. For certain more then a mounted fish, as long as the craftsmanship warrants it.
    I wouldn't touch any carving for less then $300

8. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

That's what I thought too.....and I don't say this to underestimate taxidermy,I've done that enough too to know the difference in labour time.