1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ok What Is It?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Dave York, May 31, 2018.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

If they’d shown he paws it would have helped. Shot by a rancher and called the state to identify it. As soon as it hit the news the usual characters started complaining it was a young half starved grizzly. The a dog wolf cross.
    Aren’t those canine type teeth instead of bear?

Attached Files:

2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Looks like a Wolf to me the mouth looks like one anyway

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

wolf

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

chuppa la kabbria ....... just a mutt dog doesnt have nose or ears of a wolf

5. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

Here's some additional pics. I'd figure it's a dog or wolfdog. The ears seem too big and paws too small for a typical wolf. Really tired of my friends messaging me about "bear wolves" in Montana :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    Wild dog

Chippers likes this.
  7. Dave York

Everyone knows it’s wolf Bear

Megan :) and Chippers like this.
  8. byrdman

on that tailgate it looks way too small for a wolf prob a coyote or coy- dog although its like 10,000 to one for that to happen did it get wieghed? that would tell a lot

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very good chance it's a wolf hybrid. Not a naturally occurring one. Someones pet that got dumped and turned loose because it was no longer wanted.

Chippers likes this.
  10. Dave York

Sea Wolf I think you might be right. We had ONE wolf in California three years ago and no there are sightings all over NorCal.
    This happened in Oregon. First they denied there were wolves there but in the regs they had a comparison of a coyote and a wolf and warned that they were an endangered. Then hunters started reporting seeing them in the western part of Oregon.

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

My guess is a young wolf, or wolf/dog hybrid. I think a Coyote cross would have the coyote collar marking. Only a DNA test can tell for sure.
    Just as a point of interest on the subject, The Red Wolf was declared extinct in part because the wild red wolves kept interbreeding with coyotes to the point there were no more “pure” red wolves remaining.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

It's a brown coloured wolf in poor hide. Skinned a few of them up here.

13. Dave York

DNA results came in and as Ken from the great white north said, it’s a wolf no dog. Best kind of wolf too, dead!

Megan :), boone90 and Skywalker like this.
  14. byrdman

dna wouldnt differenciate dog from wolf as they are nearly identical

15. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

I'm no geneticist, but there's plenty of canid DNA tests out there that can determine breed percentages in dogs, similar to the AnscentryDNA tests for people. I'm sure they'd be able to tell the difference between a wolf and domestic dog, even a wolfdog.

16. byrdman

dog is 98.9 woof any testing further would be too expensive to be practical dog/ coyote on the other hand.....

17. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

It was confirmed yesterday that it is 100% wolf.

18. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

That is my understanding too. Although personally, I still believe that all those at home DNA kits are just the government's way of having a ton of DNA on file secretly........
    THUD smiley.gif

Chippers likes this.
  19. Dave York

"DNA from the animal ... was tested at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service forensic laboratory in Ashland, Oregon. The lab compared the animal's DNA with thousands of other DNA samples from wolves, coyotes and dogs," the official state agency said. "The conclusion was clear -- this animal is a gray wolf from the northern Rocky Mountains."

20. byrdman

comparative sampling thats the basics