1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What deer eyes to buy?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, May 31, 2018.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

I'm still new to doing taxidermy.I was wondering. What type of deer eyes does everyone use? Commerical and Competition.

2. krollh

krollh Active Member

I'm a fan of the Meder IQ eyes.

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I also like the old Meder eyes.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

30 mm Medium Brite-Tech eyes. I buy 24 pair at a time for $6.16/pr

5. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Thanks guys. I have used both of those eyes. Have you ever use the Epply trueyes.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Eppley eyes are great! Just be careful using lacquer thinner around them. They will haze over if you overdo it.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Don't get into the habit of short changing your clients for the sake of competition. Why would you spend $10 more on a pair of eyes for a mount you're going to take 5 times the effort in and not make a dime on versus putting them in a mount that you should make 3-400 more dollars on?
    I trust plastic eyes like I trust truck-stop burritos. Nothing looks as realistic as glass.

JL, GWebb, 3bears and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Thanks I woukd not have thought about that.
    You are right. That's exactly what I'm trying to do is to cut my cost. The going rate for taxidermy around here is 325-400. I know what everyone is going to say. Make it worth my while and let all the cheap people go down the street. And I agree. But any higher than 400 and I won't get no business.

9. George

Start charging $425. For every cheapskate, you'll pick up someone who is looking for better work. Get that reputation of being the highest price guy around and see how quickly others follow you. When they raise their price to meet yours, raise yours again.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    JL, dale65 and Dwb5 like this.
  10. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Sounds like a plan. I use to be that cheapskate till i 1. started paying for good waterfowl mounts and 2. doing taxidermy myself. When you see higher quality work it makes it worth the extra money. Thanks for the advice!

11. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Thats true George I remember years ago a guy didn't bring me a deer cause he said I was to cheep and though I wouldn't do a good job that thought me them to be the highest around and your the best around in a lot of people's eyes

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i had guys tell me if i go any higher thell just cut the horns off. im at $425.00. the highest in the area. but the money thell spend to hunt that year. no crying about it.

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Payer eyes are very good, excellent price and glass, also have options on shape and white band

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Cheap eyes set correctly will get you way more accolades than expensive eyes set incorrectly!

Chippers and George like this.
  15. George

Or as Michael P. once said, buy the hollow bubble black ones. From across the room nobody looks at the eyes anyway.

JL likes this.
  16. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    For a mount that cheap do not put $20 eyes in. I also hate the plastic eyes. Get the tohickon 405 or the payer unbanded for $7/pair.