1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green possibly rotten hide?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Emers48, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Emers48

Emers48 Member

I picked up a small fox today that was hit by a car. I was able to put it in my freezer around 4-5 hours after picking it up and when I went too take a closer look at it (around 8 hours after putting it in the freezer) it had a terrible smell to it. I noticed that it also became very bloated so I decided I should skin it ASAP. When I was skinning it, the belly was very green and had a smell to it but the fur didn't slip. I decided to turn, flesh, and salt it instead of putting it back in the freezer hoping it would give it a better chance. Is there anything else you would advise me to do in order to try to save it?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same thing with a coyote. 8hrs in the bed of my truck in 90 degree weather out in the sun. Very green bloated belly. Real stinky like rot. Professionally tanned it and it came out beautiful. Made a nice life size mount. There is no way to know if yours will come out good unless you try.

Emers48 likes this.

3. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yep you never know unless to try it but fox are bad about slipping if left out to long I usely don't pick them up if I didn't hit them or see them get hit but if you got it skinned might as well give it a try

Emers48 likes this.
  4. Emers48

Emers48 Member

Okay. Thank you!

5. GP1419

GP1419 Member

I found out the hard way, once you freeze a fox and thaw out once you need to mount it then because if you re-freeze you almost always loose the hair on the back of the ears and the tail.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Really, I have never had an issue with freezing foxes and loosing hair, and I do it with just about all of them. I do apply stop rot on fox ears, that are going to be mounted but not on ones sold to the market. I'm certain it has to do with how they were handled either before or after freezing.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

like 3bears said.stop rot. use it or loose it.

8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Ditto to what 3bears said! Stop Rot!!! All predators will have that green in the belly area if left out any time at all because of the nature of the bacteria in a carnivore’s system and the smell is from the gases in their bellies - again as carnivores, lots of stuff going on in their digestive tracts. It isn’t necessarily a sign, however of the skin rotting. Thawing and refreezing isn't, in and of itself, an issue to cause slippage, as much as it is the handling of the hide in a raw state, giving opportunity for the bacteria to live and grow. Stop Rot does wonders at killing, or at least slowing down the growth of the destructive bacteria.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I avoid dealing with roadkill. People pick up animals on their way to work, and expect them to be mountable when they get off work. Foxes, coyotes, and bobcats have a very short duration with the sun shining on them. These animals can get real messy when skinning also; their fur hides a lot of trauma. Hope your fox is salvageable...its certainly a gamble. Stop Rot won't hurt anything, but once a predator starts slipping, its usually too late.

dale65 and Mike Powell like this.
  10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have to echo loudly to get a bottle of Glen's Stop Rot and wet down the skin side of that hide. I have used it on green coyotes and foxes and other hides and haven't lost a single hair. Being hit by a car there were probably many internal injuries that started the decomposition process immediately.

Emers48 and Mike Powell like this.