1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long can hides remain in a Safetee-Acid pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Metalwolf, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Metalwolf

Metalwolf Member

I mainly use the Safetee Acid pickle, and normally pull them around 4-11 days. However one version of the written instructions says a skin/hide can be safely left in for about two weeks, another version on the Rittel website says they had no issues even after four weeks, and a third varient says a hide can be left in the pickle almost indefinitely as long as the ph is maintained (and I'm assuming enough water too, if any dissipates from evaporation.)

I'm curious to see if it's ever been tried, as I imagine there might be various circumstances where it suddenly isn't feasible to move on to the tanning step at that moment, and refrigeration for whatever reason is just out of the question.

2. Pretty much indefinitely. I routinely leave hides in the pickle for a couple months at a time when i just can't get to finishing them and never had an issue. The longest I've left one in was about 8 months, it was totally fine.
    Keep a lid on the tub, check pH regularly, stir it up every couple days to prevent airborne mold from growing on the surface of the solution, and the hides will be fine for a very long time.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Like Valley Fur Shed said. I was cleaning out my shop when I came upon a sealed bucket. When I opened it I said "so that's where that coyote went." It had been soaking in a tan for over a year. It mounted up fine.

Megan :) likes this.
  4. Wildcat Furs

Wildcat Furs New Member

I use the same stuff and I have not went past 2 weeks in the pickle yet but, the PH and salinity held fine and those skins turned out great. Pickle is safest place to be as long as PH holds.

5. Metalwolf

Metalwolf Member

Very good for me to know. One thing I like avoiding is feeling rushed, and if I know that I don't have to worry as much about keeping a hide in the pickle, then stuff feels a lot easier.

6. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

The safest place a hide can be is in a good pickle....

7. sponder

sponder Member

I use paratan with citric acid , pulled a bobcat hide out of it today that has been in there over a month, hair tight on it!!