1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boiling and pressure washing a skull .. why NOT to.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Sad loss of a customers trophy. :(

"For some reason when I boiled a customers bear skull the back part of the skull blew apart and I didn't find all the pieces since I use a pressure washer. I need to replace his asap!! It was a brown bear."

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Did it have signs it was club over the back of its head?

3. Sea Wolf

No idea. Could also have been a bullet. This was not my disaster but someone elses. Fellow said it was a brown bear but it looks more like a black in size. Maybe he meant brown phase black? Hard to tell with the damage and not seeing the front of the skull from a better angle. Cleaning skulls fast for a quick cash turnaround is not the way to make a good name for yourself.

4. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

That really sucks. I would be furious to know that my trophy was destroyed, and furious to find out the skull I brought in was not the skull I received back.

After being disappointed with the quality of work of a local skull boiler-guy, I vowed to learn a better way. Thanks to this forum I now do my own skull work, and in all honesty my results have been excellent, and once looked at by an educated eye, the difference is notable. Now there are some excellent skull cleaners here, but I think if the average hunter gives his skull to a taxidermist/skull cleaning person the results will be in general only O.K. to not so good. All the more reason to do your research and find someone who really knows what they are doing-or better yet, do it yourself.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Some people are clueless when it comes to skull cleaning.

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Some/Most of the people have to pee on the electric fence to learn. There is no fast way to clean bones or skulls for the desired finish. IMO the perfect skull when degreased and sealed properly looks like Ivory or Pearl when finished. It should look that way in 5-10 years too.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Sea Wolf

Cant agree more with either of the above. The key word is "research". 30 years ago .. hell, 20 years ago, there were no sites like this and the wonderful world of the internet. Even library books on taxidermy were real thin on cleaning bone for display. I have museum prep books that have better info. A lot of what we have learned is trial and error. Hopefully on your own stuff and not something you took in for cash like the above. Sometimes someone helps out with a suggestion and that doesn't go well either. :eek:https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/72104/#post-456990 .. Sad part with that one was, after the disappointment, they said go ahead and use it but not for as long. :rolleyes:

If a customer is going to nail their trophy to the outside garage wall I guess quality doesn't amount to much. But the clients I do work for want it in the house and it should be something they can be proud of to show off. And to just swap out a customers trophy with a replacement on the sly is unthinkable. Don't know if the guy above did this or not. To ruin a skull and not say anything to the owner by way of extreme apology and offer to replace for free isn't even honest. What would he have done if this was an antlered skull?

Kelsey's Creations likes this.
  8. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Oh man, I can't imagine how I would feel finding out the skull I have is not "my" skull. Furious wouldn't even cover it. I don't believe there is an acceptable replacement, because it's not IT.

jimmy s. likes this.
  9. jeez, that's so depressing. i hope the person owned up to their client and got things sorted out. goodness knows i'd be mortified if someone did that to a skull i trusted them with.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There would be a ton of repair to get that skull even close to correct. More than likely, It'll get swapped with a replacement...happens more often than you can imagine.

11. it's awful, but i believe it. it's such a shame that it happens, though.