1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Am i getting ripped off? rhino hornbill

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Matthewroo, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Matthewroo

Matthewroo New Member

hello im new to buying taxidermyskulls and found a gentlemen who has a bunch of exotic bird skulls in his collection that hes trying to get rid of....he has a 12 inch beautiful adult rhino hornbill skull but is asking 1000....he said hes giving me a discount for future business relationships...he also mentioned that a skull like this would sell for 1800-2000 in the US. this is a legit seller but i would like to get more feedback before i make this large of a purchase for a single skull, thank you!!

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

3. Matthewroo

Matthewroo New Member

4. mallardhunter57

mallardhunter57 Member

I agree with Nancy and it's best practice not to buy them at all. Most species of hornbills are killed at alarming rates for their skulls. It takes almost a decade for the casque of a rhinoceros hornbill to fully mature....but to answer your question, with an over saturation of hornbill skulls for sale I think he's asking a bit much.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you are willing to jump on stuff, as you seem ready to, you will get burned .. badly. Chances are your "seller" is not in the USA and may well not even have what he is offering you. That one on eBay is in Indonesia and it can not be shipped to the USA. They may go ahead and do so but, when it reaches the USA, it will be taken by US Customs and destroyed. The buyer will never see it.

6. Matthewroo

Matthewroo New Member

Do you have a link as to where these are listed as illegal?? because ive done a ton of research and all i can find is that the Helmeted hornbill is illegal......Not the rhino. let me know thank you!

7. Sea Wolf

They are CITES protected. Your importing it from another country without proper paperwork is. Sender has to have proper paperwork to ship to the US (they probably don't). You also have to have import papers from USFW and betting you don't either. Covering your ass is your job as well as knowing what the laws are. A lot of collectors don't and end up in a world of hurt. If you were truly interested there IS plenty to read about it online. Here are two of many that I came up with in a simple search and I suggest you really read the second one. https://www.taxidermy.net/ken/?p=449

https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/2015-12-07-Orangutan-skulls.pdf

8. Sea Wolf

As for the other hornbill skull on eBay that claims to be from Australia .. fits right into this http://environment.gov.au/mediarelease/canberra-skull-importer-convicted

You have to follow the law. You have to have the paperwork in hand and jump through the hoops to get it. I have a koala skull that was shipped to me from Australia. It took me over a year to get the paperwork from USFW AND Australia cleared. There were fees involved as well. You can't just toss something in the mail and send it. It isn't legal.

Megan :) likes this.
  9. Matthewroo

Matthewroo New Member

Thank you for sending me this.....Im new to skull collecting an dont plan on breaking any laws so i will make sure the paper work is included before i make a purchase. theres a lot of people who told me different on the facebook collector groups but i can see how they may be misinformed or international shipping is a completely different story thanks again

10. Sea Wolf

Someone in another country will always tell you that "They have the paperwork". Sometimes it's legit, sometimes not. Anything being shipped from Cameroon and Africa most likely is not. Problem is, *you* also have to have importers documents from the USFW and only you can file for and get them in your name. The seller can not get them for you. Yeah, I'm also on a lot of the other collector sites and what I read there sometimes makes me cringe. There are some nice pictures to look at though sometimes. People don't know, or choose to not know and take chances. It's a game of roulette. How many times can you pull the trigger before it goes off? There are a lot of specimens in the USA that come up from time to time. Ebay is not the only auction venue around. Antique stores come up with strange things sometimes. There are lots of sources. The sticky ones are any that are outside the USA.