1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dehydrating a squirrel

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by puttster, Jun 13, 2018.

1. puttster

puttster New Member

• Don't know who else to ask, so... A friend of mine was mightily amused by this frontier museum squirrel exhibit. So I would like to make one (as near as I can) as a gift to him. I have a trap out. If I catch a squirrel, what is my best approach for replicating the museum piece? I was thinking about tossing the whole thing in the attic but not keen on the smell and insects. Looking for ideas!
    • squirrel.jpg

2. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

3. puttster

puttster New Member

Stroke of genius. Yes, didn't know it till you said it but I want a mummy. I love Egyptian stuff, too. Will the process get the hair to fall out do you think?

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'd place it on a piece of cardboard and put it in an attic. There is no assurance that mummification would take place. Other rodents and insects could reduce it to pieces. It's gonna take a while for it to get to the point of the one shown. I'd guess 1 year minimum. Odor will probably not be a problem. the residents of the home of the one you illustrated never had a clue it was there.