1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

10 things every shop should have. These are a "musthave."

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fish stuffer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Did you just have to remind me !!!

2. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I never
    Put anything on my freezers and they still rust. I wished they came in rust brown instead of white.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you use your freezer as a hide salting surface it will be rust brown in no time. Problem solved!

4. Dave York

Towing were in my garage. Winter comes along and they start getting condensation on the lid. Instant rust.

5. Mike Bowen

Mike Bowen New Member

A
    Ahahah. I’m a beginner and I’m having a blast. Funny - my shop is all clean and pretty but I’ve all ready started with the 2x4 table and squiggly lines everywhere.

rigbobby likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I ask clients wives and girlfriends if they have had a tetanus shot before entering my little shop. It's a 50 year accumulation of taxidermy in no particular order.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

A filthy coffee pot with years of stains burned on the inside (because you forget to turn off the pot at night and never wash it out) along with years worth of overfills spilled all over the table it is sitting on is also a must for any shop. It shows you are always to busy to clean up after yourself and you are addlebrained!

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

my plywood work table is the color of every paint color i used over the years. if your a hippy from the 60 to 70 you would like it verry much. real cool man.lol.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I'll be damned. I ran a shop for over 60 years and I never had a single one of those things. I thought this was going to be a serious post.

freeze_1 and fish stuffer like this.
  10. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Me too.

11. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Every shop needs a credit card that has a balance that never really goes down even after years of use.

George likes this.
  12. Dave York

At least 3x the space you think you will ever need. Same applies to storage. You will never have enough.

Megan :) likes this.
  13. pir^2h

Isn't that the truth!

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

and every shop is not complete if you dont have some one hanging around in your way. ( why do you do that. why do you do this. im i in the way.) lol.

15. pir^2h

And that is when you give them a broom and tell them if they are there they might as well earn their floor space and start sweeping up. Or better yet, tell them you are really behind and would they mind giving you a hand and give them a form rougher. They will suddenly remember they had an urgent errand to run.

tem likes this.
  16. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Exactly this!!! I'd even go with 4x the space, especially storage, lol.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When it came time to go full time, I built a 24x36 shop. It was plenty big enough for my show room, tannery/ storage room, wood shop and taxidermy work area. That is until I started working in it. Up went a 12x12 Rubbermade plastic shed for skulls and stinky antlers brought in for antler mounts. Then a 10x10 Tuff Shed for fleshing and salting. Then I converted my 250 sq.foot studio apt attached to the house for "clean" work, small mammals and birds. I was preparing to build a 20x 20 room to my shop when my health deteriorated to the point the doctors said keep doing taxidermy and you won't be alive long, so, I retired and now I finally have almost enough room.