1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Birds Legal to Mount?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Jun 16, 2018.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I was just curious on if there is a list of birds covered under the Federal Law...and there is. At several shows I have noticed birds like "starlings" and "cowbirds" that I heard didn't require a permit but yet are on the list of Federal Migratory birds. So the question is "Is there any birds that are legal to mount with out a Federal Permit? If anyone has a list or knows where I can find that list...thank you... Rich

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Chickens

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A permits is required to mount protected migratory birds but those you stated are unprotected.

4. kojak

kojak Active Member

Hi Rich,

You could email the U.S fish and wildlife sevice, migratory bird division, at [email protected] and they should be able to help you out . Or you can call 612-713-5436.
    Hope this helps you,
    Leroy

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

§ 10.13 50 CFR Ch. I (10–1–00 Edition) is where I found the list of so called protected birds. I had heard that they are not protected but they show up on this list... would be nice to find a list of birds that are not protected... I agree Chickens...LOL

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

In the Oregon ODFW reg book says all birds except, starling, house sparrow, Eurasian collared-dove, and rock pigeon are protected by federal and/or state laws.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Cowbirds are native and are protected. Starlings, house sparrows and pigeons are not protected. Mute swans are not normally protected but some states might. 'Not sure.
    Domestic (pet) birds are legal to mount without a permit, although some of them are threatened in the wild and may not be legal to sell across state lines. ('Best to check.)
    Domestic poultry are always legal.

8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

My dumb state protects mute swans. They list them as an invasive species but protected because they are a Cygnus species. Now it it looked like a copy they wouldn’t care if you shot them. It’s laws based on emotions and not science. Cute animals get protected first.

9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Be sure and check your state’s laws. The federal law on blackbirds and crows states you can shoot them even if they are about to do damage to trees or crops. My state says no.
    Are you wanting to mount some birds commercially or personally?

10. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I've had a federal license for over 10 years but noticed a bird at a show that surprised me so I went to the Fed. guidelines and it showed the bird on the list...don't know if they had the proper paper work or not and I didn't ask... i.e. Starling: Ashy, Sturnus cineraceus Violet-backed, Sturnus philippensis are on the list but there are those that say they are legal to mount with out a federal permit.....

11. LarryL

LarryL Member

You can mount them for yourself without the permit, it is only needed if you do them for others. https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-8.pdf

Larry

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

On another note, the Federal Permit is really unfair. $100 for 5 years. I think there would be more applicants if the fee was $25 annually. $100 for a permit is a bit much for a beginner to pay, IMO.