1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brown Bear Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Coloradoyaler, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Coloradoyaler

Coloradoyaler New Member

Hello

I harvested a Brown Bear two weeks ago here in Alaska. I want a lifesize mount. However, I failed to take any measurements of the bear while on the ground. After skinning and fleshing the hide squared out at 8' 10". The hide measured 9' 4" tip of claw to tip of claw and 8' 5" from nose to tail. Can I use the 8'5" measurement to order a form? Or should I wait until I get it back from the tanner and get measurements? How much of a difference will there be from a green hide to a tanned hide?

2. Coloradoyaler

Coloradoyaler New Member

I just found George's, What I know about bears. Great info and it answered my questions on how to proceed.

3. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

The green hide,just off the animal is already bigger than the carcass itself.Forget the green hide measurements.The carcass measurements would be what you need but you can proceed with out them.After the hide is tanned,rehydrate it and stretch it width wise and be vigorous,doing it.I like to put the rehydrated hide,hair down on the floor,put a foot on the centerline and pull upward on the edge of the hide with both hand.Work down the hide till you have stetched one side,then do the other.Stretch it well.

Now,fold the hide at the centerline of the back,like you are looking at a silhouette of the bear.They still tend to be a little long.Be conservative with your lengthwise measurement on a big bear.Measure the circumference at the widest spot(the belly),from the back,centerline to belly and double that measurement.I put more faith in the girth measurement than the length,because,like I said,even after stretching the width,it often will still be a little long.

Look at brown bear mannikins that match your girth measurement,nose to eye and neck.If the mannikin matches those measurements but is several inches less in length,than you skin,it's probably about right.That "extra length" will disappear as you wrap the hide around the manikin,tuck the armpit skin,etc.You will have to do some customizing of the mannikin with many bears.What you don't want,is a manikin that is so oversized that you not only have to shorten the body but also the legs,which really increases the labor involved.

Again,leave a little slack in the length of that hide,when measuring and don't expect it to mount up,close to you green hide measurements.The green hide measurements have little value in selecting a manikin.

My SWAG,based on past experience,is that your manikin will probably be about 84"-86".Girth probably 60" plus.It may go as big as 90",but I don't think,any bigger.Remember,on a big bear,there can 12" of difference between the green hide measurement and the actual carcass measurement.The carcass is what you need to replicate.Congratulations on the bear and good luck with the project.

Glenn M likes this.
  4. Coloradoyaler

Coloradoyaler New Member

Thank You Jim B !! That helps a lot!

5. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

If you want to get hold of me when you rehydrate and measure it,I can walk you through it.I have measurements of some of the big bear manikins and those can further narrow down choices.

When it gets to that point,I also use circumference measurements of the head,wrists and ankles plus the distance from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the front foot.These help a lot but only if you have measurements from some manikins.

6. Coloradoyaler

Coloradoyaler New Member

Jim B

Great! I will when I get it back from tanning!

Thank YOU!

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

8. Coloradoyaler

Coloradoyaler New Member

Sea Wolf
    I am sure they would do a great job. I just get more satisfaction from doing it myself with helpful advise for guys like Jim B !!