1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wavy Fin Issue Solved

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Jun 22, 2018.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I think I have found the problem with my fins getting wavy on my skin mounts. I was using Derma Grip Fin & Fish Coat Clear and Silkspan that I had ordered from McKenzie. I tried sealing them with lacquer also but they still dried wavy.
    I just finished the fins on another mount but this time, as I decided to do the fins natural, I did not use the Silkspan. The Derma Grip Fin and Fish Coat did wonderful!
    I ordered the Silkspan from McKenzie and have had nothing but trouble every time I use it.
    Like I said earlier I have been out of the fish mounting game for a few years since I lost my shop to a fire. Used to do great fins back then with Derma Grip and Silkspan but I noticed when my new order came in the Silkspan felt different right away.
    Thinking about ordering my next Silkspan from WASCO or someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions on who has the best or any other material I should try?

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

WASCO is owned by Mckenzie. You will likely have the same issues, as it's likely going to be the exact same product. You might try Silkspan from Matuska, I'm not sure if it's different thickness or whatever or not. Otherwise , there's a lense tissue or something like that I have heard works, but can't speak to it myself.

3. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

Matuska's was good for awhile but then they changed to the same thing Mckenzie is selling. I think lens tissue works as good as the original silk span

Jimmy Lawrence likes this.
  4. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

used dryer sheets

6. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Haven't tried the lens tissue yet but I hear a lot of you guys talk about using them. Yea, I knew McKenzie had aquired WASCO and I was afraid it might be the same stuff.

JUST FISH likes this.
  7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Dang. I always got it from matuska and haven't had to restock in a while. Thanks for the link on the other thicknesses.

JUST FISH likes this.
  8. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Where does one get Derma Grip fin and fish glue? Thanks

9. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

Last I knew a few of the supply companies carry their stuff. I bought some at the PA. show a long time ago and did not like it. It was like water. I called Dermagrip and they said that's the way it's supposed to be.

10. If you have a good hobby shop that deals in model planes near you they will carry the SIG
    silk span. I use the lightest weight. Great stuff.

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

My wife was into dressmaking and she used a material called "Interfacing" and it came in different thicknesses.Bought it at the local material store and that's what I use and to me it's the same thing as Silkspan and a lot cheaper.

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Slabbandit, I just saw this post and I guess I have to play the Devil's Advocate here. But, why would a paper product cause wavy fins? Something is rehydrating the fin OR is incompatible with something else. Now, I'm going from memory here, but I tried Derma-Grip for fin backing years ago and tossed it in the garbage after too many problems. (I only used it on the spiny dorsals, so no silkspan used.) Come to find out that it's one of the fin backing products that you are NOT suppose to seal with a lacquer sealer before coating. I was either told this by the supplier OR it may even be on the instructions on the bottle. This would cause wavy fins/incompatibility. I dumped the product because unless you get a fan on it right away and dry it on your UNSEALED fins the wet product would rehydrate the fin slightly anyway and cause slight wavy-ness. Anyway, I'd toss the product and go with Tuffin or I hear Miracle Seal is a good fin backing product. I would bet that if you try one of these products with your (bad) silkspan you think you're having problems with - that the silkspan has absolutely nothing to do with your issues. Dump the Derma-Grip...

13. Seel the fish and fins first with a non water based brush on sealer before you do the fin work with a water based fin glue.

14. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

He mentioned he sealed the fins with lacquer with no luck.

15. Tom Matuska said the silkspan factory they use to order from burnt down,that's why they switched.

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

As I mentioned I'm pretty sure Derma Grip is the ONE and only fin backing product that states NOT to seal it first with a lacquer sealer as it can cause incompatibility issues. I wish I had the product in front of me b/c I'm almost certain it states this right on the container/instructions. With any other product though I too would recommend sealing first...