1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to clean crab & crawfish claws?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by errant.beasty, Jun 25, 2018.

1. errant.beasty

errant.beasty New Member

Hello,

I have a collection of blue crab and crawfish claws. What do you suggest for cleaning? I usually remove as much meat as possible with a small hook and brush, then soak them in warm water and a little laundry detergent (for the bioenzymes). I'm worried that there is still some meat residue left and that they will get smelly or attract insects. Any ideas?

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I soak mine in 50/50 denatured alchol and water first for at least 24 hours. Then clean out meat. Sprinkle in borax and then wash and dry. Wire and stuff then pose and let dry. Haven't had any issues.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

When you do this, do they retain their natural color? Or do they fade and turn red and then you have to repaint them?

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

They will keep thier color as long as you don't leave them for weeks in the DA. You may have to touch up paint where the seams are. But it's not much. Here's a crawfish I mounted last week. Soaked in DA overnight. Very little paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

000_0058.jpg I do a number of Atlantic Lobsters and I cook them to make getting the meat out easier, then I cut access holes where needed to totally remove the meat. Wire and mount, them paint the colors back. George Roof has a way to do Blue Crabs. I'd contact him for advice on your project. Good luck, JL 000_0058.jpg

dale65, hambone and FishArt like this.
  7. JL

Sorry for the double picture posting. That's a 24 pound lobster.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

What a lobster! Great job!

9. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

D83D35CC-BE03-4960-AC16-E7514FC7C65D.jpeg 697C254C-AFB4-4FFC-AB09-E0503F1F4F5E.jpeg Soak in denatured alcohol for several months, peel the flap off the bottom and scrape the meat out and glue back in place. Pose and let dry, paint, seal with clear coat and then pour on glaze coat or other epoxie coating to seal and lock everything in place. You have to baby sit after the epoxie coat until it starts to harden, to stop the drips, but it will lock the legs and fins in place and make a nice looking finish. This is one I am currently working on, 8 1/2” across the shell points.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  10. JL

Dylan, that's one of the best crab mounting job I've ever seen. Congrats!!

11. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

Thanks, still have some minor touch ups to do.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

Finished up this crab tonight, same crab as above, just put it on a habitat.

Attached Files:

13. Badeaux

Badeaux New Member

Man that crab looks great. I’m looking to try my first 1 and have a few questions.