1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wow just finished a workshop with Rick Krane!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

He even went a half a day over for me to make sure we covered as much as possible.

I have to say I have a good grasp of casting and molding now using more than one method. (My main objective for the workshop) We also did some carving and I do like his system. Less waste and more accurate than mine. And the foam you get through Rick is some really good stuff! Dense yet easy to cut and sand. Not as dusty either. The last foam I got from McKenzie crumbled in places when I cut it.

Got to see some beautiful country and had some great eating. Rick and Kathy went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible and of course fed me. And I got some good advice on business practices.

Rick you da man. I thought I knew something about fish taxidermy being in the business since 1984 but I know nothing compared to this man.

Got to meet JL from Merrimack NH too while I was there. Great guy and also very knowledgeable. May get to meet Richard Christoforo while I'm here, but making contact with my cell phone isn't working well right now. Got it wet getting out of kayak down here in Massachusetts. Hope to get that rectified today.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

BTW I'd add pictures but I took a dunk getting out of my kayak and stupid me got the cell phone I take pictures with wet. Why I didn't leave it in the car is beyond me. Should have at least had it in a zip lock bag. Live and learn! Hoping for the best drying it out and I have an Apple store within a mile of where I'm at in Massachusetts.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

3. Sarah Daeuber

Sarah Daeuber New Member

They are such wonderful people and so willing to share their knowledge!

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Got to meet Cecil at Rick's place and for a Democrat he's a pretty good guy. Was going to take him Striped Bass fishing ( and I don't do that with everyone) but the tides were wrong when he was here, maybe next time. Even invited Christoforo only because Linda makes great sandwiches. Missed out on all of it. Tides are better this week so will be drifting the river Wednesday. Good luck Cecil.

rwenglish1 and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  5. jakecs

jakecs Member

Rick and Kathy are amazing!! I never learned so much in one week in my life, plus eat great food as well. Can never stop thanking both of them for everything. I got to meet JL and Richard when I was there both are remarkable men full of tons of knowledge.

6. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I spent 5 days with Rick and Kathy last August. It’s amazing what you can learn from Rick! It’s the best investment you can make if you want to learn about fish and taxidermy in general. He does not hold back and is willing to answer any questions you have.

7. JL

When Cecil falls out of his kayak does anyone hear the splash??????

rwenglish1, Cecil and Richard C like this.
  8. bnoody

bnoody Member

Rick is the best in the business, if you want to raise your game in fish he's the man to see. Everyone who asks me who to see, I direct to Rick and their work always improves dramaticly.

Cecil likes this.
  9. I enjoyed my time with Rick IMMENSELY!!!!! An absolute wealth of information. He and his wife are just great people!!!!!

Cecil likes this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I keep telling you guys I'm an independent voter that leans progressive! :)

msestak and rwenglish1 like this.
  11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah me!

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Back home in Indiana. Richard Christoforo if you're reading this I was going to call you and offer to take you and your wife out to eat. Then I dunked the cell phone and it was impossible to call until I got a replacement. That took a couple of days as the cell phone I use to call was borrowed, and I had to get that particular model. Ended up going to Nashua's NH's Best Buy to get it as it wasn't available anywhere near me in Mass.

Contacted you via the website here but apparently you don't check your "Conversations?" Then I got into the fishing, and before I knew it the vacation was over! On nice days fishing takes precedence! Sorry about that!

13. Maybe we could all chip in and get a wedge for your shoe to correct your leaning.

JL likes this.
  14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Uh huh. :p

15. JL

He's not the only one. I never check that thing either only look at the posts....if it's not there I don't ever see it.

16. JL

How did you like not PAYING the sales tax?

17. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

So how was the fishing Cecil? Land any mounters?

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Didn't really notice JL. But then I only bought one thing in Nashua, which was the cell phone. I found the lack of sales tax and income tax very interesting. And Rick explained to me the tax revenue is based on local property tax with each town or city collecting it locally? Autonomous? Apparently one disadvantage is if your town doesn't get much property tax revenue you are SOL. Saw one town like that that looked like a slum. Winchester I think was the name? Sounds interesting though.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No fishing was a bust this time, but I still had a good time. Brown, laker, rainbow, all but the laker on my mini downrigger on the kayak. Caught some bluegills on the fly rod. Quabbin reservoir was breathtaking trolling for lakers!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  20. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

My Cecil Baird Workshop

First sorry for not seeing the post I don’t get on here a great deal but love to read the stories when I can.

Each person since 1991 that has come here to Hinsdale NH or when we were in Litchfield it has been as much of a learn process for me and I assure you a pleasure to meet so many gifted folks! Occasionally what I call a fish friend comes out to visit with us and spend some time working on a fish project or 2.

A gentleman who I have known for a long time called Kathie and said he was looking to come out for a workshop and that to my supersize and delight was the T-Nets own Cecil Baird! As mentioned I have known Cecil for a good long while and while we may not agree on ever political issue I think some would find him to be a logical and critical thinker about most matters believe it or not! We sure could agree on a friendship and lots of fish talk!

Cecil, it has always been a wonder of mine if you would come to visit and I would have the opportunity to share with you what I do to give you my best and thoughts to help in any way I can and you truly made my life just that much better the week you were here!

A kind man and talent for sure more so a great learner! Thanks Cecil for hanging out and playing with fish for a week! We have more in common than not in this world and I know all kidding aside it is change these days that is hard to work out but in the end, we have common goals and common passions!

Thanks for the name “FISH BOOT CAMP” btw!

I have a few photos and video clip to share!

My Best
    Rick Krane

IMG_6358.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

DSC_0757.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018