1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting apoxie sculpt help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by clarkdeer, Jun 29, 2018.

1. clarkdeer

clarkdeer New Member

I use apoxie sculpt around the eyes, inside the ears on my deer heads. It’s the natural color. I’m using way more paint than I would like because it doesn’t cover it easily. I’m using the polytranspar water based air brush paint. Should I start with some type of primer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Why not use Apoxie Sculpt that is close to the color you are going to paint? I switched to this and made painting easier. I use black and brown mixed for the eyes, pink for nostrils and ears.

3. clarkdeer

clarkdeer New Member

Well I got a good bit of the natural left. The stuff isn’t cheap. Next time I order I will definitely order smaller amounts of different colors. I didn’t think that was necessary since they advertise that it accepts all paints.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We paint everything white first, then apply the other colors after that. The white hides the apoxy and provides a good primer base to build on.

OhDear, Megan :), aewalsh and 2 others like this.
  5. I use 1-2 epoxies for years . Do you use a Q tip to clean before you paint ? I was water base and a Q TIP TO HELP SHAPE the eye . Never had a problem unless your getting oil off your hands onto the paint area .

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Colored epoxies are a waste of money b/c it's not going to match anyway and could make things more difficult to match. Your problem is you're probably using too much paint at one time. Turn your PSI down to about 30-35 PSI and use a fairly open tip (but keep it almost closed so mostly air comes out) and put your paint on on in thin layers. Hit all your epoxy areas to blend and by the time you get done the first spot will be dry enough to hit again. You may even have to repeat a third time depending on color (whites for instance). I usually do my blending and my whites on several fish at once so that all is dry when I start my second coat.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Megan :) likes this.
  7. Fish art I respectfully, disagree!!
    Colored expoxie has a big adavantage over natural white. Your correct, its not a perfect match in color. So yes it has to be painted. So where is the advantage?
    Its in what can , and does happen sometimes after it leaves your shop! Scratches, shrinkage, cracking, etc. none of which is your Falt.
    If any of that happens its still all but invisible. Starting with natural white or cream if any of that happens it stands out like a sore thumb from across the room.
    They always blame the taxidermist too.
    If anyone says it dont happen! I’ll be nice , and not say what that is! Because
    We cant control their temperatures, dampness, dryness, kids, cleaning ladies,
    Where its hung, etc etc.
    Heat expansion and cooling shrinking several times usually gets one at some point!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. GP1419

GP1419 Member

X2 buckfever and the colors always seem to be about the same price from where I get them

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    clarkdeer, blend the texture as well not just the color. Once you have that accomplished, then match the existing skin color around it and blend, then paint it to match the references of live critters.

FishArt likes this.
  10. FishArt

Buckfever, I prefer to nip the damage control in the bud in another way. I honestly have never had a single (or married - ha!) customer come back and blame me for any of those issues you describe in 22+ years of doing this. What do you do for replicas, have the distributor dye it green or brown when molding? Of course I'm kidding but it is a valid point as the whole replica can be scratched rather easily and show the white base. I do explain things like this to each and every customer. To be super careful getting it home and once it's on the wall away from kitchens and/or smoke of any kind and then they can sit back and enjoy it. I even instruct them on what type of screw (in stud preferably) and at what angle works best to alleviate their trophy from ever getting knocked off the wall. I do this with every customer along with educating them with a handout that goes over every topic/potential problem that you mention and then some. I guess I like the K.I.S.S. theory. I don't need 27 different Apoxie Sculpt colors. Fyi, I also have a gazillion powders but rarely use more than a golds, silvers and whites (you can create most any color/effect painting over metallics/micas with thinned paint of course as you know). 3/4th's of my powders have never been opened - lol! Back to the topic at hand. Ultimately I have fewer products and more control in the final color with a white base. Much like some like to white out a skin mount (I do not btw), it is just my preference which allows me to have more control. And again, all those things you brought up have never been a problem for me. If I wanted colored Apoxie Sculpt, I'd add the custom color myself to an exact match. I just don't see a purpose as long as you educate your customers beforehand about taking care of their trophy. Honestly, I think most of my customers are even more OCD than myself when it comes to worrying about damaging their fish. Heck, they're paying $20+ bucks an inch - I'd take care of it too - lol!

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have four colors. White, brown, flesh and black. Flesh int the nostrils and very little paint to blend. Brown and black around the eye. I use a toothpick to remove the paint on the eye next to the apoxie sculpt and I always end up nicking the paint and exposing a tiny bit of the white apoxie underneath. When I went to the colored apoxie, the nick revials a color that can't be noticed and so touchups are needed less.

FishArt likes this.
  12. Come on do you really think after they walked out your door they give a dam about you educational talk. Ever single person that walks in this country is a KNOW IT ALL ! They dont need you to tell them how to care for a mount, they already know how.
    Look I know what your saying I do, as I try to explain the very lessons your teaching them too. But chit happens, and its usually from just not listening. I've been in countless house, stores, business with deer heads hanging on the wall. Some mine , most wasn't. I've seen the cracks , broken ears, dirt three inches thick, white expoie showing around eyes from expansion and shrinking. They are usually hanging right over a fire place where they was told not to put it , or at least move it during the winter while in use. did they lesson , yea just like my kids did when i said dont be drinking and driven, dont have sex , dont be racing, dont go see that boy damit !. yea they sure listened !
    Granted my eyes notice more crap than theirs ever would simply because I looked for mistakes, damage etc. I have never had one single customer come back in or call and blame me for these things on me either , but I have sure been standing in a living room listing to them blame so and so taxidermy for their deer head split from nose to the eye, all while a fire was still burning and temp had to 250 degrees up there where it was. The folks with wood heaters stoked up to when you walk in the door it takes your breath, the wife's make up falls off her face in a big pile of of wet gook. There is no need in even trying to educate them , why all of their deer heads are spit open, or thats what keeping your ass sick too. I know, ! I'm describing my father-n-law.:( its been 35 years, when I walked throw his door the first time, I gave up a long long time ago like 34 years ago.
    Dont forget this is LOUISIANA too its wet repeat WET as hell, humidity humidity humidity humidity humidity humidity

Nor do I have 27 colors just black and brown. and sometimes i mix my own, sometimes ! but i sure find that just buying it premixed is so much better than wasting my time and staining up my fingers. No I dont wear rubber . :rolleyes::D
    lets blame LOUISIANA again education isn't a top priority here neither. Bubba just dont give a dam about ritten or rithamtick, must less getting confusing engish jabbered at-em.o_Oo_O

what ever color a guy chooses to use is good , Its still better than going back to wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    BrookeSFD16 and FishArt like this.
  13. FishArt

Buckfever, I'm glad you brought up your severe humidity issues because I was going to mention that as well. Humidity and expansions/contractions are a very good reason to have the colored epoxies in your situation! We do not have those problems here in the midwest and much of the rest of the country. Plus, as you touched upon differences in clientele. You probably rarely run into anybody down there that does not hunt and fish! Hence the "know-it-all" syndrome! Most of my customers are educated but know very, very little about fish taxidermy or how to take care of their mounts to last. Most appreciate the heads-up on potential issues. Now I see why we have such a difference of opinion on this subject - we simply do not have the heat and humidity problems that you have to deal with!

buckfever* likes this.
  14. clarkdeer

clarkdeer New Member

Thanks for the info guys. It is greatly appreciated.

15. FishArt

FYI, the Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils work great for minor touch-ups. Just dip the tip in water and apply. I purchased the 72 color set for under $60 bucks on Amazon!

16. clarkdeer

clarkdeer New Member

I do use my finger tips a lot to smooth and blend. And no I haven’t been cleaning before I paint. What should I clean the apoxie with? Alcohol?

17. clarkdeer

clarkdeer New Member

This is what I do also. However, the areas surrounding the apoxie accepts the paint much easier the the apoxie it’s self.

18. WANNA TRADE Shops and Clients ? Please!!!!!!

FishArt likes this.
  19. FishArt

BF, I'm a bit "husky" these days ;) and I could not tolerate the heat and humidity. I've been to LA once - Grand Isle and from what I understand, being right on the ocean it is a bit cooler and much less humid vs. inland.

20. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Southern heat and humidity is good for fire ants, kudzu, cogongrass, and thick swarms of skeeters!

BrookeSFD16 and FishArt like this.