1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt dried cape in humid weather....?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by austin_0_4, Jul 2, 2018.

1. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

I have two whitetail capes that I turned, fleshed, and salt dried over the winter. I had them in a burlap sack, and was intentionally sitting on them up until now for the sake of my own time. Anyway, long story short, we got hit with some thick heavy humid weather this past week, and when these capes dawned on me I checked them to find the exposed out skin to be moist and kinda soft.

Are these toast? Gone for good? Or are they salvageable? When I reach my hand inside and pull on the hair it all seems to hold strong yet (so far anyway). I dried em with a towel, applied more salt and had the fan on them and it seems like they dried up again just fine. But just hoping someone with more experience might have experience with this?? Was hoping to send to tannery in the next two weeks! Darn grad school gettin in the way of my taxi work!

Thanks Guys

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

They are probably OK. Here in the humid south, skins dry and rehydrate with the ever changing humidity. I beat the weather a few years ago by using a de-humidifier. Once dry, they stay dry, and get shipped promptly! Don't let taxidermy hinder your grad school. I earned an MS in Agriculture 35 years ago, and that degree made me more income than taxidermy ever thought about making me!

3. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've had that happen. Mostly with bears.
    They were fine.
    I figure if I ship them to my tannery they will sit in their warehouse in the same box for several weeks with humidity changes anyway.. so what's the difference? I doubt they have dehumidifiers in their huge shop- maybe I'm wrong?

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are correct. That's a great case for NOT placing skins in plastic bags when shipping to a tannery. Salted skins need to breathe, which allows them to stay as dry as the atmosphere will allow.

nemo likes this.
  5. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate your insight! I got the cape out to the tannery and when I spoke with them the guy chuckled and said it'll be just fine as well.