1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mountain Goat Questions

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by npaden, Jul 3, 2018.

1. npaden

npaden Member

Okay, I shot a once in a lifetime mountain goat in September 2014 and it has been at my taxidermist ever since.

He sent it to a tannery that did not do whatever they normally would do to get it white and so has been piddling around with it for a while now trying to figure it out.

Finally he is going to just mount it as is and then hire a hair dresser to come and peroxide the whole thing after he has it mounted.

This seems like a train wreck about to happen to me on my once in a lifetime mountain goat. (I shot it in Wyoming and it truly is a once in a lifetime tag there, you can't apply again).

This taxidermist has done good work for me in the past but it has been on deer, elk, antelope, etc. I'm not sure how much experience he has with mountain goats. We don't have any here in Texas.

Does this sound like he is on the right track or not?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rausch

Rausch Active Member

Post pics

Mtn goats are not white and I wouldn’t let them put peroxide on it. Are you not happy with the color it currently is?

3. npaden

npaden Member

I don't have any pictures. I've seen the tanned hide back from the tannery one time a year or so ago briefly and it was a dingy yellowish color. Nothing like you see in pictures of mountain goat taxidermy mounts that I've seen.

My goat wasn't white, but it wasn't yellow for sure.

Here is a picture of him before I shot him:

[​IMG]

I'm afraid that once it is on the form it is going to be too late anyway and I think it is on the form already at least from what I'm being told.

4. npaden

npaden Member

The peroxide by the hair dresser was the taxidermists idea. I have never complained about the color of the hide, he told me that it was wrong and has been "working on getting it fixed" for what seems like 3 years now.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not only does it seem like 3 years, it has been 3 years. That's a long time. A hair dresser probably doesn't have a lot of experience with mountain goats. Hope it works out for you.

6. Rausch

Rausch Active Member

I was just curious what the hide looks like currently. If your happy with the way it looks now keep it that way. If not let him try to peroxide it.

7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Don't change anything.Goats in pictures,especially in the sunshine,look whiter than they really are.I think that is what leads people tp bleaching there goats.I just wouldn't do it.That's a beautiful goat and I'm sure it will turn out well,without whitening.Congratulations.

Get your taxidermist off that aspect that doesn't need done and he doesn't know how to do and he will be back on track,finishing what he does know how to do and you will have your goat.He's just stalled out right now.

8. Most will not peroxide on initial mount. Leave it the color it is now and in 10 years after the hair color fades you could peroxide to lighten the colour. It is only safe to peroxide the hair once so make it count.