1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mountain Goat Questions

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by npaden, Jul 3, 2018.

1. npaden

npaden Member

Okay, I shot a once in a lifetime mountain goat in September 2014 and it has been at my taxidermist ever since.

He sent it to a tannery that did not do whatever they normally would do to get it white and so has been piddling around with it for a while now trying to figure it out.

Finally he is going to just mount it as is and then hire a hair dresser to come and peroxide the whole thing after he has it mounted.

This seems like a train wreck about to happen to me on my once in a lifetime mountain goat. (I shot it in Wyoming and it truly is a once in a lifetime tag there, you can't apply again).

This taxidermist has done good work for me in the past but it has been on deer, elk, antelope, etc. I'm not sure how much experience he has with mountain goats. We don't have any here in Texas.

Does this sound like he is on the right track or not?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rausch

Rausch Active Member

Post pics

Mtn goats are not white and I wouldn’t let them put peroxide on it. Are you not happy with the color it currently is?

3. npaden

npaden Member

I don't have any pictures. I've seen the tanned hide back from the tannery one time a year or so ago briefly and it was a dingy yellowish color. Nothing like you see in pictures of mountain goat taxidermy mounts that I've seen.

My goat wasn't white, but it wasn't yellow for sure.

Here is a picture of him before I shot him:

[​IMG]

I'm afraid that once it is on the form it is going to be too late anyway and I think it is on the form already at least from what I'm being told.

4. npaden

npaden Member

The peroxide by the hair dresser was the taxidermists idea. I have never complained about the color of the hide, he told me that it was wrong and has been "working on getting it fixed" for what seems like 3 years now.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not only does it seem like 3 years, it has been 3 years. That's a long time. A hair dresser probably doesn't have a lot of experience with mountain goats. Hope it works out for you.

6. Rausch

Rausch Active Member

I was just curious what the hide looks like currently. If your happy with the way it looks now keep it that way. If not let him try to peroxide it.

7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Don't change anything.Goats in pictures,especially in the sunshine,look whiter than they really are.I think that is what leads people tp bleaching there goats.I just wouldn't do it.That's a beautiful goat and I'm sure it will turn out well,without whitening.Congratulations.

Get your taxidermist off that aspect that doesn't need done and he doesn't know how to do and he will be back on track,finishing what he does know how to do and you will have your goat.He's just stalled out right now.

8. Most will not peroxide on initial mount. Leave it the color it is now and in 10 years after the hair color fades you could peroxide to lighten the colour. It is only safe to peroxide the hair once so make it count.

9. npaden

npaden Member

D93E50B5-4C61-44A8-9BB2-778AA4CDCE8A.jpeg

birddog1964 likes this.
  10. npaden

npaden Member

Got my first chance to look at it today. He said that it turned out better than he was thinking it would on the color once he got it all brushed out. I think it is fine the way it is. On the ridge of the long hair some of it looks a little off color, but not bad.

I think it is still matted in a few spots but he said he has brushed and combed the thing for over a week and the remaining spots are going to be mainly against the wall anyway.

I’m going to have him finish the glands behind the horns (he had tucked them in) and then I guess it is ready for the finishing touches and the rock.

I have a party at my house on August 11th, hopefully it will be done by then.

11. npaden

npaden Member

This is what it looked like before they started brushing it out. (He shared this picture with me after showing me what it currently looks like.)

8D22DABA-40A0-4E77-A155-AA324CE133CF.jpeg

12. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    Have him blow it out with a leaf blower from the bottom up and it will look more natural.

13. npaden

npaden Member

He said he was going to use an air compressor. I guess a leaf blower might work just as well if not better.

So if I end up wanting to try to brush some more of the hair out on my own, what is the best way? Just a steel brush like you would use for a long haired dog?

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    DON'T, often times excessive brushing removes too much hair and as Terry suggested it could use a fluffing more than any more brushing. Why would you pay another to mount your animal if you are going to second guess his/her every move? I understand your concern over your "Once in a lifetime" trophy but, doesn't this person you hired to do the job deserve your trust? If not why did you choose them? I suggest that you calm down and let them finish the job you hired them to do, I'm sure you'll be satisfied in the end.

15. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    I would agree with 3bears. It doesn't look likes it needs any more brushing to me.
    An air compressor will also work to blow it out, I just get tired of waiting for the air compressor to pump up.
    A leaf blower or cattle blower moves a lot more air.

16. npaden

npaden Member

I'm not second guessing his every move, and I'm already calm. I was very concerned about a hair dresser using peroxide on it and that's why I started this thread. He said that was what he was intending to do but has now decided that it doesn't need it. I'm providing input to him and asking for advice here. Believe it or not some taxidermists do make mistakes. Like tucking in the glands behind the horns on a mountain goat. I've seen some great mountain goat mounts and I've seen some terrible mountain goat mounts that look like wooly white bison. I want mine to be closer to great if I can do anything to help it.

The hair that is matted is on the other side of the goat that is going to be up against the wall. I would like to get it combed out even if no one is going to see it. I can comb hair. I don't want to ask him to spend several more hours combing hair if no one else is going to ever see or care about it except for me.

He has specifically said that he values my input and would much rather me ask questions during the process than just show up when it is finished and not be happy with the finished product. He uses the pedestal elk mount that he did for me as the picture on his business card. I provided a lot of input on that especially on the pedestal base, but he did all the work and deserves all the credit for what turned out to be a very beautiful mount.

I'm a professional and I don't mind clients providing input at all. Usually it ends up with a better finished product than if I am left on my own to try to read their minds. It's not that I don't trust him, I just want to help make the finished product the best possible.

3bears likes this.
  17. npaden

npaden Member

[​IMG] [​IMG][/URL]

Here is his finished product on the elk pedestal. He does very good work, just takes a while to get it done sometimes.

birddog1964 likes this.
  18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Have him brush it out, I for one cannot understand why he isn't willing to unless, like I said it will cause more harm than good. A bald goat wouldn't look too good. Input is one thing but your posts come across to me as just like I described, second guessing and more along the lines of a pain in the arse customer. I for one appreciate discerning customers, that means that they did their homework prior to coming to me and appreciate quality. Input is relaying the message of what you want the finished piece to look like, not questioning how they achieve that.
    The elk pedestal does look very nice. Good luck and congrats on both animals, nice trophies.

19. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

anyone who would not brush out the entire mount to me is not doing his job well. it should be as pristine as possible when it leaves his studio, not just half of the knotted hair combed out. get your money's worth.

20. npaden

npaden Member

Well it's in the house and on the wall.

We hung it on the wall yesterday and I'm very happy with it. We should have put it outside first and took some pictures because where it is in the house is pretty hard on camera exposure but I took some pictures anyway and thought I would share.

If you want to read about my hunt here is a link - https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?260812-2014-Wyoming-Mountain-Goat-Hunt!

Here are the pictures of it.

[​IMG]mountain goat side by naathan2, on Flickr

[​IMG]mountain goat angle by naathan2, on Flickr

[​IMG]mountain goat back by naathan2, on Flickr

[​IMG]mountain goat front by naathan2, on Flickr

[​IMG]mountain goat close by naathan2, on Flickr

I think it looks better in person, I really like the way it ended up on the wall and how it fits overall with the room.

[​IMG]mountain goat far by naathan2, on Flickr

This is a picture from last night sitting in my chair in our den. I wasn't sure I would be able to see it very well from up there but I can.

[​IMG]mountain goat room by naathan2, on Flickr

It was a long time coming, but I am happy with the end result. I think it looks like a mountain goat.

These things have a LOT of hair and getting it to look right is pretty tricky. We used an air compressor to blow it out after we got it on the wall and it did make it look better.

At one point I was really second guessing whether I should have just done a shoulder mount instead of a lifesize, but I'm glad that I didn't change it.

Just thought I would share. Nathan

birddog1964 likes this.