1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Team Work!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by allis, Jul 3, 2018.

1. allis

allis Member

I just want to take a moment and appreciate the wonderful colleagues/friends who have been out to Los Angeles helping me get through some major projects and supporting the museum. I've had the most challenging year of my life going on (museum project with over 60 pieces, selling/buying a house AND construction on a new studio) and without the support of my fellow taxidermists I don't know where I would be.
    It seems every time my derriere gets stuck, there's help from the wonderful members of my field. (Looking at you Ken Walker, Tony Finazzo, Tim Bovard, etc). This time some of the 'young guns' have been out here kicking butt, though!

Dakotah Gould helped out with my project at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History AND the workshops help at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles under Tim Bovard. Though she did several pieces, check out the mama Opossum she did for me. That face is just fabulous!
    [​IMG]

Olivia Miseroy also got into the SBMNH game with, not only many mounts but installing with me too. Not sure what I would have done without her talent. She did everything from slipcasting mice tails to painting pelican pouches. Here's this amazing Caterpillar replica she molded/casted/painted:
    [​IMG]
    Olivia also taught at the Natural History Museum's Reptile workshop with Tim Bovard. You can see this cast of a small horned lizard she did recently is just amazing!
    [​IMG]

And, though I'm sure Daniel or Tim will do a post about it, I can't help but share this incredible photo from the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. Daniel Meng came out to work alongside Tim Bovard to mount these beautiful Lionesses that had been in the museum freezer since 1989 when they were collected in Tanzania. I think the guys mounted them in just 6 days! They literally slept at the museum.
    [​IMG]

This has all happening in the last month or two, so it's been an exciting time! Looking forward to working with them all in the future and can't say enough good things about their talent, work ethic and great personalities. Love you guys!

Bmaurer, Chippers, FishArt and 5 others like this.
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

One of my first jobs was working at the SBMNH doing study skins in the Vertebrae Dept. alongside my mentor and director Paul Collins. I have been a member forever and frequent the museum when in town working on my rental properties. I will be there 4th of July (Yes, they're open tomorrow!) to see the new exhibits and, as an retired Entomologist, the new Insect Hall! We are blessed to have you on our BOD for the California Assoc. of Taxidermists Allis!!!

Dave York, allis and AliciaG like this.

3. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

So awesome Allis! Stoked for you and your team. That's a ton of work, surely something to be proud of! I'll be down there later this month, I'll have to make the trip to check it out.

allis likes this.
  4. allis

allis Member

What?!?! That’s amazing! I had no idea. Please let me know what you think. Excited to know you’ve been a part of SBMNH too!

5. allis

allis Member

Awwww I’d love to hear your opinion. Check out my Island Fox!
    Omg though you have to see Olivia’s dead mice and Tim’s Sea Lion!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

allis likes this.
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Wow, what an amazing feather in yours and all these talented peoples caps! Can't wait to visit and see the displays.

allis likes this.
  8. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

I love this!!! You all did so great!

allis likes this.
  9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Not surprising that people came to help. Who wouldn’t want to be around you and your team? You bring so much to the industry and to others that you’ve mentored. Your work is
    Just stunning, you’re work ethic is infectious not to mention you’re a giving person.
    Having just moved and going through that ordeal like you I can’t imagine having a project like that to deal with.
    Can’t wait to visit.
    Well done to all of you, you’re work will inspire future generations.

Chippers, Megan :) and allis like this.
  10. allis

allis Member

Thanks, Dave! You’re the best! I always love hanging out with you at the CA show and would love to have you visit! You and your wife are such great people. I’ll be moving the studio around mid August, so exciting times ahead!

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

fantastic work everyone!

12. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

It's been so fun watching these pieces come together on social media. I'll be sure to check out the exhibit next time I'm in SoCal!