1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gelcoats- Fish Replica

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by D.Millz, Jul 4, 2018.

1. D.Millz

D.Millz New Member

Hello, I just recently got into the taxidermy business and will cast my first Texas Speckled Trout this weekend. I also plan to have a couple large bull redfish next week. For the redfish, I will like to mold them with gelcoat instead of the 50/50 bondo fiberglass resin. Any advice as to which gelcoat and additives I should use? I saw a you tube video of a tuna mold with gel coat but they didn't specify which type or kind of gel coat.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Just use general purpose white gel coat. (not tooling gel coat). More is not better. Just a thin even coat with a good quality brush.

3. D.Millz

D.Millz New Member

Thanks for the reply! Note taken.

4. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Fishmaster,
    I have never used gel coat for anything so please excuse my ignorance. with this gel coat I am assuming you would then build the mold up with fiberglass, is this correct? Also will the gel coat set under cold conditions if left long enough? I have used platinum silicone and tin cured silicone for molds and each have a place but I am always looking to try something new!
    Also what parting agent/ mold release would you typically use for this type of mold? I have made a few fish molds from thinned bondo is this process basically the same? if so what are some benefits of the gel coat?
    Thanks for any information you can offer!

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I just read the original post and realized you were talking about molding an actual fish, not a part from mold. In that case if you insist on trying gel coat, use orange or black tooling gel coat instead of white. I personally have never used gel coat when molding a raw fish. I've just used thinned bondo for the initial coat. I did see a post or perhaps youtube where someone was using tooling gel coat on a saltwater fish.
    Production molds of objects are usually made with tooling gel coat because the molds are then sanded thru lots of grits down to 1000-2000 to get them super smooth. None of that applies to a fish with scales and minute details so personally I don't see the point.

6. What are you guys referring to when you say "Bondo"? I guess I'm only familiar with the word as a brand name. Are you talking about fiberglass resin, body filler, glaze?

7. Rick Durrant

Rick Durrant New Member

Bondo refers to body filler. Yes as a brand they make other stuff, but body filler is how they made their name and its become synonymous with the product. Just like Crescent or Channellock tools.

8. So is there a type of body filler that works better? Lightweight, glaze, etc? And what do you thin it with? Urethayne base reducer?

9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

You probably need to search the beginners section for tutorials on this. Basically, you mix regular body filler that you get from Walmart, Bondo is the brandname, with regular fiberglass resin (polyester) also from Walmart at a 50/50 ratio using both hardeners. This produces a pourable mix. Videos available on YouTube.

~S

shorefisherman likes this.
  10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

When I mix the bondo with the fiberglass resin I only use the hardner from the bondo.

:)

Kerby...

Sotired likes this.
  11. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Hey Kerby, if that works, cool!!! I always heard to use both!

~S

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I use both because normally if I use one it leaves it a bit tacky . But either one works for both.

Sotired and Cory like this.
  13. D.Millz

D.Millz New Member

Yes, I was referring to molding a fish with gel coat. Thanks for the information.