1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question For George

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Monty Hoffstrom, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Monty Hoffstrom

Monty Hoffstrom Member

Hello George,

I am getting my feet wet in taxidermy as I have shifted my business services (freight service) to this particular industry because I have passion for animals and the outdoors. Also, an added bonus is there aren't 20 freight reps calling on each taxidermist and hounding them for business!

I grew up fishing Minnesota Lakes with my father who is a fishing guide now at 73 years young! I don't want to just be an expert on helping taxidermists ship freight but rather get a basic understanding of the field through electronic newsletters or magazine subscriptions. Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Monty Hoffstrom

2. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I'm not George, but for magazines check out Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today. You could also check up on the Minnesota Taxidermy Guild for more info about the field.

Monty Hoffstrom and Chippers like this.

3. Monty Hoffstrom

Monty Hoffstrom Member

Thank you for the information Katie. I appreciate it. I will look into both.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Monty, though Katie's advise is certainly valid, I'm really not sure a neophyte can get any information from those magazines. Breakthrough, though no one will dare say this, it really geared towards the true artisan taxidermist. Even after 60 years, sometimes I have to reread things a half a dozen times to know where they came from and where they're going. In layman's parlance, it's for people who are anal about taxidermy. Taxidermy Today simply has a long row to hoe IN MY OPINION. The articles tend to give basic steps and personal approaches to mounts, but again, you'll have to be familiar with the terminology.

Many will think I'm crazy (I likely am) but if you want to learn what taxidermy is all about from the ground up, I still suggest you start where many of us did before the internet sensation: J.W. Elwoods Northwestern School of Taxidermy. It's long defunct, but you can still find the booklets on the internet. This is truly basic information. Name brand items are no longer available, but the process and the products are still available. You will never find any source with more basic and simple instructions.

Now obviously, that's intended for learning basics only. We no longer use coat hangers and cotton batting (though we do have suitable substitutes). Manikins have taken much of the artistry away from today's work, but learning how to measure and match are still very basic requirements.

Then call up a couple suppliers and request a catalog. I learned much of what I know from the Van Dykes catalogs looking for descriptions on how a product was used. There's a wealth of information to be found in catalogs.

After that, YouTube can be your friend and many of the suppliers offer free videos as well.

Monty Hoffstrom likes this.
  5. Monty Hoffstrom

Monty Hoffstrom Member

Hello George,

I will dig deep into catalogs and the internet to expand on the basics. I appreciate you taking the time to give the guidance necessary for me to learn more about the field.