1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tumbler

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by roach, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hello there,
    Was wondering if anybody knows of a big hide tumbler for sale or has plans to make one? Looked around on here and some of the links have been deleted or don’t go anywhere.

2. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

3. Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. krazie

krazie New Member

Also interested in building a tumbler soon but dont see the old post I remember from couple years ago. It was for 8' ceiling clearance,which is what I need but dont remember width, or who it was posted by.

5. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

I've successfully broken many hides in a regular clothes dryer with a non-working heating element. Just added some golf balls in with the sawdust medium to help assist the breaking process. The hides turned out fantastic, very professional looking, and took top dollar at my vending events, but the dryer took quite a beating and eventually died on me. I'm planning to do something similar with my new build.

sponder likes this.
  6. Wildcat Furs

Wildcat Furs New Member

I break the majority of my skins by hand but, before I do they go through my dryer tumbler (no heating element) that has been converted to 110v. I use corn cob grit to remove excess moisture from the hair and baseballs within to help break the fur.

7. bill robson

bill robson New Member

I got some plans from Bruce Rittle a few years ago. They worked good and I modified it a bit I made it 4x8. Big but I could afford the room. Give him a call or email.

8. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

Thanks for posting the link, I picked it up today for 200.00. It is only four foot diameter, it has a screen so I guess it was used to clean the corn cob grit out.

It was in an old fur building in downtown Baltimore, There was a huge room behind a vault door where they stored the furs, he said it was still full of furs when he bought the building at auction and he gave all the furs away

9. John67

John67 Member

Glad I could help!

10. WH33LS

WH33LS New Member

hi... I was going to post a tumbler question and I have searched but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for...

(sorry for hijacking your thread.. but...)

for an 8' by 4' dry tumbler...
    1. what size motor would spin this tumbler when loaded and no gear box? would a 1hp single phase AC motor do the job?

2. what size motor with a gear box?

ty in advance for any information