1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist Lost Antlers...What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Mrme9402, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Mrme9402

Mrme9402 New Member

My taxidermist finally called after 9 months with my 170" whitetail..wow was I excited to see the results...but the excitement soon diminished to shock when he told me my antlers were missing. After the blood returned to my head I pressed for a reason why or how they were missing. The reasons were plausible but ultimately irrelevant. The taxidermist is a decent guy with a good reputation.

My question to the community here: What should I do, expect or demand from this taxidermist?

Any experiences or insights on this horrific situation are greatly appreciated.

2. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I can't see any "plausible" reason he LOST antlers.

That being said probably nothing you can do that will give you any satisfaction.

Kerby Ross, George and pir^2h like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm aboard with Jim. That may be the nightmare many of us have, but because of that we take an inordinate amount of time to insure it doesn't happen. For a professional taxidermy to "lose" a client's rack is simply inexcusable under any reasoning.

JL likes this.
  4. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

x2

5. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not much you can do,he could get another set of antlers but that doesn't help you ,except it will be your cape with someone else's antlers .What does he say or suggest he is willing to do for you.

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

how does one lose a customers antlers. must have put them on some one elses cape.

7. Megan :)

He has a second thread, nearly identical, where he expanded upon the story.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

why are taxidermists boiling antlers...twice???

dale65 likes this.
  9. dale65

dale65 Active Member

That's what I was thinking Bill if it going to be mounted why would you

10. Megan :)

I chose to ignore that part, but I wondered the same thing lol

11. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I saw this exact same topic on Bowsite and it was explained that the taxidermist cleaned the skullcap and sent it home with the hunter to keep until he was getting close to mounting. The hunter brought it back and for some unknown reason the taxidermist determined that it needed to be boiled a second time, which he did outside and then they disappeared while drying. The rest of the story is on Taxinet. They were not so kind to the taxidermist or in general on that forum.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Maybe he was making soup. WTH? Some people's kids????:confused:

13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I would furnish him all the pics I had and measurements if you had them and make him get replacement repo set and modify it to as close to yours as he can get

14. Megan :)

soup.jpg
    Apparently it's a thing. Antler Soup.
    I'll stick with your "WTH" statement.

15. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Apparently, it is now all resolved from posting on Bowsites.

16. tem

tem Well-Known Member

yea. i like a happy ending. lol.

17. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im an opinionated guy for sure. I just cannot leave antlers unattended, unlocked...or even out where people can see them around my work areas. I just dont trust the temptation to people, and those antlers arent mine. That doesnt help the taxiidermist or his customer, but its just might preventative measure.

As for boiling or re-boiling, I just dont boil skullplates. Thats not actually what got those stolen, but it was just an opportunity for me to grind that ax again hahaha. Boiling to clean skull plates might clean up some stuff, but so will other methods like prepping them during caping, and preserving to dry afterwards...without compromising the skull plate bone.

Stolen antlers is a scary situation. I guess Id have to hunt the bastards down to retrieve the customers antlers. I dont know how it truly gets resolved short of recovery. I wish those guys the very best, that sucks.

FishArt likes this.
  18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I once went out into my yard and there in the middle was a trophy set of mule deer antlers and skull plate.
    They are unique so I went door to door and placed it in lost and found in the paper to describe them and contacted local processors and taxidermists. No one claimed them, so, a year later I mounted them for my show room.
    I'll bet this sort of thing happens more than we think. I used to hear of this sort of thing every so often when I was growing up.

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I had a coon clomb up a tree and steal a bear skull wrapped in chicken wire so built a brick chamber

20. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I lose peoples racks about five times a year! I go into a panick and then there they are hanging right where they were supposed to be right where I looked three different times!

The one time I did lose a rack (I think) was really weird! The guy brings one deer and I have a receipt and directions on how to mount it! Then a month later brings me two more and I have a receipt and directions for those two! I mount two of them. The first one and one of the second ones. I cant find his third rack! If I remember right I even had three capes with his name on it! I am sick about it and put off calling him for months! One day he calls me and ask about his deer! I stutter and stammer and tell him two are ready "but what was your third one"? Hoping he could describe it and maybe I had thrown it in with some of my racks or something! He thought a minute then said: "I think I only have two down there don't I"? "Oh okay" I said..."I was thinking you had three....well their ready to go then"!!:):):)

Sweetest words I had ever heard!! But one of us doesn't know what the hell we were talking about!!!o_O