1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by JRtaxidermist, Jul 13, 2018.

1. JRtaxidermist

JRtaxidermist Member

I have a customer the has a pile of exotics from all over that he wants me to mount. These hides were dry tanned over 5 years ago. I live out here in the desert so I'm afraid dry rot might be an issue or these might just start falling apart once I start dehydrating them. Anyone have an idea about a time frame before it might become an issue?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I recently mounted a bear that had been dry tanned for 16 years and stored in a plastic tote. It rehydrated fine and held stitches well but had little stretch, so they may be fine. You'll have a better idea once you try to rehydrate them.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

you can never tell unless you hydrated small areas and see how it acts. All of this is done by telling the client I may and may not work and you have no responsibility to the skins.
    Make sure you hydrate with salt in your mixture.

4. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

It all depends on how they were "tanned".. What tanning agent was used..
    I recently rehydrated a LS Nyala that was dry tanned using Para Tan, and oiled with good oil, 10 years ago. It was perfect.. I wouldn't want to try that with a ALUM tanned skin...
    Ain't but one way to find out.. Soak one up at the owners risk....